587,348 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Moore Jig Grinder to CNC.

My grandpa purchased a large jig grinder from Alison. They had it set up as a CNC machine, but had removed the stepper motors along with the CNC controls. My grandpa is old school, so he's not into the CNC stuff. He wants to convert this machine to a NC machine. It's arleady setup for CNC, so that would be no problem. My grandpa doesn't want to deal with a windows based computer (he doesn't know how to even use one). He wants a setup similar to a digital read out on a mill (he loves DROs made my Newall) where he can define the (0,0,0) location, then using the keypad on the DRO, move x,y, and/or z axis. He also wants the "DRO" to have a jog button for each of the axis where it moves one tenth, and a rapid traverse key for each of the axis. Does anyone make a product similar to this? I was looking at one of his Newall DROs on a manual jig grinder that he has, and it has a number pad, so i was wondering if you can hook one of those up to a gecko or something similar, and control the stepper motors that way. Basically, my grandpa wants a VERY basic NC way to control his jig grinder. Thank you.

Brenton

any ideas?

No that I have any experience with it but wouldn't the FROG controller fit the bill.

http://www.avatartools.com/
    Rod

Thank you so much, I just contacted them.

supahonkey,

Hey, I see your from Indy. I lived in Lebanon,IN about 5 years ago (about 25 miles north of you, on I-65).
    I'm in South Carolina, now (warmer winters)! ... :cheers:

well, the FROG controller is meant to control a power feed on a mill (or other equipment). It can only handle one axis. One can daisy chain them together to control two axis, but it cannot handle three axis. It also doesn't have a jog option, so it basically won't work. It looks like I will have to convince the old man to go a PC based solution. Is there a piece of software that will allow me to do what I need? Thanks.

http://www.artofcnc.ca/

Mach2 is a 45000Hz 6-Axis Controller for XP and 2000

$150.00