587,787 active members*
6,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mini-mill good or not?

New to the world of cnc and looking for something to cut out side plates for fishing reels. The biggest I will do is 8" round.Would a mill be better or a table router? I know it is going to take some time for me to learn how to use one with all the G codes. Here is some info on one I saw on Ebay. Does anyone think I would be good for what I need. Also any one know of a good band saw that will cut up to 8" solid round aluminum? Thanks for any help.

Item Specifics - Mills, Milling-Type Machines
    Type: CNC, Vertical X-Axis Travel Bed: Less than 10''
    Make: PROXXON Y-Axis Travel Bed: Less than 10''
    Model: PF230 CNC Z-AxisTravel Bed: 10'' - 15''
    Highest Spindle Speed (RPM): 2501 - 3000

Visit my eBay Store: B.P.SALES&CUSTOMCNC

THIS IS THE PF230 CNC MILL THE UNIT WILL BE FULLY LOADED WITH EVERY OPTION UNLIKE THE COMPETITION WHO ONLY SEND YOU THE BASE MACHINE FOR $3000.00 . MY UNIT COMES STANDARD WITH MINEBEA NEMA 23 MOTORS ,DELEGRANGE TECHNOLOGY 10 AMP 4 AXIS CNC CONTROL BOARD, MACH 3 MILL PROGRAM AND A WEB SIGHT TO HELP YOU SET UP YOUR MACHINE IN 30 MIN WITH STEP BY STEP PICS OF THE WAY YOUR SCREEN SHOULD LOOK ,25 PIN COMPUTER CABLE , POWER SUPPLY IN A METAL BOX WITH OPTIONAL WOOD BOX FOR $25.00 MORE ,ENDMILLS, DIVIDING ATTACHMENT , 4 JAW CHUCK ,FINE FEED , V BLOCKS 2 SETS OF CLAMPS, GEAR CUTTER ARBOR WITH ALL CUTTERS, CENTER DRILLS , DRILL CHUCK , 2 SETS OF COLLETS , DRILL AND TAP SET , FULL WARRANTY ********PLUS A MACHINE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS AND DOES WHAT IT SAIS IT CAN DO !!! THIS MACHINE CAME IN ON FRIDAY AND THE MOTORS AND MOUNTS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED ITS TIME FOR THE WIRING !-------AND UNLIKE THE COMPETITION YOU GET TO KEEP YOUR MANUAL HAND WHEELS SO IF YOU DONT NEED THE CNC SETUP YOU CAN STILL USE THE MACHINE BUYER PAYS ALL SHIPPNG COST UNIT WAYS ABOUT 50 POUNDS.
    SPECS TABLE: X= 10 5/8 Y= 3 5/32 TSLOTTS= 15/32X15/64X13/64
    TABLE TRAVEL:X=7" Y=3" Z=11"
    MACHINE IS 6 SPEED VIA BELT DRIVE 280,550,870,1250,1700,2500 RPM
    THIS IS THE PROTOTYPE ,YOUR MACHINE WILL BE CUSTOM BUILT AND SENT WITH ALL THE OPTIONS DESCRIBED. THE BASE PRICE FOR THE MANUAL MACHINE IS $899.00 WITH 3 COLLETS . I CAN SELL THESE ALSO I AM A DEALER FOR PROXXON SO YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF THERE PRODUCTS LISTED FOR A BETTER PRICE THAN ANYBODY ELSE CAN OFFER !!!! PD230 CNC LATHE COMING SOON ADD ME TO YOUR FAVORITES AND WATCH .
    CUSTOM CNC MACHINES --- I WILL BE BUILDING ALL KINDS OF EQUIPMENT IN THE FUTURE SO MAKE SURE YOU STAY ON THE LOOKOUT........................................... .................................................. ....
    On Apr-08-06 at 21:31:04 PDT, seller added the following information:
    PROXXON CNC MILL

If you are gonna cut 8" round stock, you need atleast 8" travel in X and Y. For that range, you will need a RF-45 or a lathemaster mill..or something that size. Do you need the tool to reach all areas of the 8" round plate? - Zachery

Check out this one for $799.00. Its factory built and has a square collum.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Proxxon-MF70-CNC...QQcmdZViewItem
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Or possibly a rotary table???

Halfnuts, are you serious? Do you realize what he is trying to cut? 8" stock. That one only has 6" x travel and 3" y travel. This is way too small for what he is tryin to cut. I think you need a larger mill for your needs.

I am sorry I did not mean the whole 8in peice. I would slice off about a 2-21/2in thick piece.The 8in would be milled down to aprox 71/2in with a lip. the inside will be milled out.Here is the pics of what I am wanting to do.

Yes, both of those are way too small, but for the money it looked like a much better deal than the one for 2700.00
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So that top machine is to small? I talked to the guy on the phone last week and he said it would do it. Like I said I am new to this and since I am disabled I am looking for something to do. Any recomendions on a machine for around $2,500.cnc

In order to mill these, you still need a machine with 8" of Y axis travel, and 8" of X axis travel. Because you need such a large Y-axis travel, you will need a large mill. Maybe a ZAY-45 mill, RF-45, Lathemaster, or something of this size. I dont have any links now, but I will get you some by tonight.

Here ya go this is the best deal I found delivered http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=325-5184
    Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Measuring Tools, Cutting Tools and Shop Supplies ya won,t go wrong with a mill this size however you,ll definetly need help getting inside and on a bench(750lbs)

Thanks it looks good looks like it can handle making several sideplates a day. How hard would it be to make it a CNC? And with something that big can I still do small projects and engraving? I know I will not be doing big plates like that often mostly under 6in to about 3in, But would like to know I have the ability if I need it.

What about speed? I guess for the price range even if I retro a mill for cnc it will be slow. Like a few hours to make each sideplate.

A retro CNC'd mill would certainly be able to handle engraving and small detail work like that. You can always do smaller work with a larger machine, but its hard to go the other way. I wouldn't say that it'd take you a few hours per plate. Do you have any close ups or drawings of the plates? It might just be cheaper and easier for someone to make them for you. But I'm all about DIY so if you're really intent on it, more power to ya!