587,086 active members*
3,017 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > Milling a profile from outside the stock milling inward towards the center

Milling a profile from outside the stock milling inward towards the center

Hey guys, trying to learn 360 here. I need to figure out how to mill some round stock. Need to lead in from outside the stock and then begin removing material inward. Basically making the round stock a smaller diameter. I've tried 2D Contour & Circular tool paths. It will mill the outside of the material but can't figure out how to work my way inward. What toothpath do you recommend to get me started here and can you advise what to do to get me started.

edit: I have Bobcad v28 and can do this very task with a profile called Outside Profile. I can mill from the outer diameter of my stock and mill inward to a given point. What is the equivalence of this toolpath in 360.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Milling a profile from outside the stock milling inward towards the center

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax91 View Post
    Hey guys, trying to learn 360 here. I need to figure out how to mill some round stock. Need to lead in from outside the stock and then begin removing material inward. Basically making the round stock a smaller diameter. I've tried 2D Contour & Circular tool paths. It will mill the outside of the material but can't figure out how to work my way inward. What toothpath do you recommend to get me started here and can you advise what to do to get me started.

edit: I have Bobcad v28 and can do this very task with a profile called Outside Profile. I can mill from the outer diameter of my stock and mill inward to a given point. What is the equivalence of this toolpath in 360.

Thanks for the help.

2D contour and circular should do what you want. I assume you are selecting the inner profile to machine to? Can you post your part, or at least a screen shot?

C|

Hello Cygnus- I worked with it a bit more tonight and got further with it. I'm very close. This is a sample part to figure out the concept before I go further. You can see the toolpath doing multiple steps inward. Now I just need to figure out the number of roughing passes and number of step downs.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-02-24 21_52_42-Autodesk Fusion 360.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax91 View Post
    Hello Cygnus- I worked with it a bit more tonight and got further with it. I'm very close. This is a sample part to figure out the concept before I go further. You can see the toolpath doing multiple steps inward. Now I just need to figure out the number of roughing passes and number of step downs.

Thanks.

Looks like you're getting there. Here's a cool trick you can use with 2D contour: On the tab where you select the profile that you want to cut to (geometry), click the box to enable "stock geometry" and select the outer profile that represents the material that you're starting with. When you do this, Fusion will trim out any extra passes that are outside of the stock boundary. So when you set the stepover, you don't need to know exactly how many are required, you just set the stepover distance you want and then set the number of stepovers to some value that you know is too many.

C|

Hi. That worked fantastic. I tried what you said about the 'stock geometry' It really shaves off unnecessary extra machine time. I really do like F360. I like the CAD side of it so much better than Bobcad v28. That said the CAM side of BC is pretty darn good.

I appreciate the help.

Use high speed machine only take 2 min