587,383 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak VTC-41 Controller cards

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking at purchasing a used Mazak VTC-41 CNC milling machine, and the workshop selling it informs me that it's not working because 1 or more of the controller cards have died and they can no longer be bought as they are no longer supported. They were quoted Approx $AU50000 for a new updated controller setup that completely replaced the old system (The old one I believe is a Mazatrol EIA). Does anyone know anything about these machines? Is there some way to obtain old parts for it? Is that an accurate estimate for a total replacement controller? Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Try Mitsubishi for parts, they were used on the majority of Mazaks, they still support the older models, here in N. America anyway.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Cheers AL, i'll give that a go.

p.s is there something wrong with the search function of the forums, because it never returns a result, even on things that I can see are in the forums

Also there are numerous places to them them repaired, just google it

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_guy00000 View Post
    p.s is there something wrong with the search function of the forums, because it never returns a result, even on things that I can see are in the forums
    Example?

BTW either get the parameters, at least in hard copy or make a copy ASAP if you buy.
    These machines are noted for losing them if the power has been off for more than a few days and the battery is weak.
    I have heared that Mitsubishi does not have a strong presence Down Under?
    Al.

Albert E.

We are on the Central Coast NSW and we only run mazaks at our shop. We have a couple of people that I can put you in contact could probably fix them for you. Email me on info at vicioustechnology.au.com for more info

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the help so far. Al, I tried to search for VTC-41, VTC and mazak vtc 41 and they came back with no result, but I tried mazak and it works, maybe it just doesn't like short searches or numbers, it doesn't matter anyway. As for the parameters, well the machine has been sitting unused for about 4 years, so it's a pretty safe bet that they are long gone. I'm currently looking at replacement control systems, would like to update it with current technology anyway. I've contacted a few different places that sell controllers, CNC4PC.com says that he has all the gear to replace the existing control system and run it from a PC, which I certainly like the idea of, what do you guys think about this?.

Thanks for the offer of help bean79au, if my current new controller investigations fall through, i'll be sure to contact you.

Once again thanks for your help guys.

The one we have uses Yaskawa? brand controllers. Also before diving into buying replacement parts, take out each card and using an eraser go over the pin contacts. The machine we have was used and by the time they brought it to our shop the cards had wiggled out. We cleaned them and re-seated them and have not had a problem yet. Good luck in finding parts, because Mazak didn't even have a book on it, so we went with the manufacture of individual components.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_guy00000 View Post
    Hey guys,
    As for the parameters, well the machine has been sitting unused for about 4 years, so it's a pretty safe bet that they are long gone. I'm currently looking at replacement control systems, would like to update it with current technology anyway. I've contacted a few different places that sell controllers, CNC4PC.com says that he has all the gear to replace the existing control system and run it from a PC, which I certainly like the idea of, what do you guys think about this?.
    I don't think you will get many PC based systems that compare with the Mazak control, especially through the paralell port systems.
    I would seriously persue the repair route before you give up. Does it say Mitsubishi on the controller itself? If so what model does it say?
    Al.

Albert E.

The control panel is a Mazatrol EIA, it's a 91 model. When you say on the controller itself, are you refering to the control panel, or all the control boards? The boards are Yaskawa, as are the servo motors, x and y are Yaskawa AC SERVO MOTOR
    TYPE USAFED-13-YB11
    and the Z is
    Yaskawa AC SERVO MOTOR
    TYPE USAFED-13-YB21

I have the wiring diagrams and manuals that were provided with the Mill when it was installed. It's actually at my local, university, and was bought brand new by them. The mill has hardly seen any service, only for instructional purposes, so it's in pretty good condition....aside from the control system. A few of the electrical engineers here tried to fix it, they found that some of the IC's on the axis control servo's were burnt out, they were going to fix it themselves, but Mazak (dealer) wouldn't provided them with replacement IC's and would accept the boards as exchange units for replacements becuase the uni had tampered with them. They are quite sure (staff changed a few times since they tried top fix it) that all 3 servo boards require replacement, because at the time they found 2 replacements and were looking for a 3rd, and that's why it never got fixed.
    Sp as you can imagine, the information on what needs to be repaired is sketchy at best, which is why I would currently prefer a complete replacement system. I'd hate to pay the same amount for the replacement cards as I would for a new control system, and then have something else in the system die or worse, what ever caused the initial failure to then fry the new boards .
    My line of thinking at the moment is to purchase a replacement control system from someone like camsoft or cnc4pc, or the like and only retain what is needed from the original system. What are your thoughts on this? from what i've been told (if I can believe it), i can still retain the full features of the original system (maybe without the fancy control panel or just a different one). A couple of companies have told me that the features can be retained, but i'll lose a bit of free travel speed, which i'm fine with. I quite like the idea of the system being PC based, it's something i'm a bit more familiar with.

Are the above mentioned replacement control systems good options? if not can you suggest better ones?. You'll have to forgive my limited knowledge at the moment, I'm a mechanical engineer and have operated similar systems before, but haven't had much to do with the control hardware side of it, but i've learnt a heap since I started investigating it. I appreciate all your help so far guys.

Evidentally this model has a Yasnac MX-3 CNC (Yaskawa), not Mitsubishi.
    I cannot believe that you cannot get parts for a 1991 model machine. There are lots of places in N. america that service and sell parts for this model.
    If you put another system on, it is probabally going to be difficult to integrate the Servo motors, for which you will still need new drives, so the cost is still going to be up there.
    Here are the manuals link.
    http://www.yaskawa.com/site/Support....ucts%20Defined
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks a lot for that Al, that little piece of info has opened up a world of possible fixes now, Yazkawa actually offers complete upgrade products for the parts i'm having trouble with as well as repairing and offering exchange units for the original parts according to their website. I'll get in touch with them and see what I can turn up, Cheers :cheers: .

PS I found a Series of papers in the control box with all the parameters recorded on it.