586,060 active members*
4,312 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Mayan (Aztec) Calendar.

Just thought you might like to see this. It is laser cut into Traffolite engraving laminate using the Mach3 impact engraving / laser plugin.

Tweakie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00492a.jpg   DSC00492aaa.jpg  
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Nice job Tweakie. Good detail.

love to grab the artwork /vectors for that one!

Ed_R,

Check out the FullSpectrumEngineering site the bitmap image is there.

Tweakie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Just thought you might like to see this. It is laser cut into Traffolite engraving laminate using the Mach3 impact engraving / laser plugin.

Tweakie.
    That is amazing!!!

Tweakie doesn't like to disclose his sample is 4" across and has jagged lines on the arrow

For a smooth finish at 1000dpi look at our 2.3" sample here (zoom on the arrow):
    http://www.fullspectrumengineering.c...ztecraster.jpg

Engraved in 10 minutes on our 40W low cost laser:
    http://www.fullspectrumengineering.c...serv2-40w.html

How long does that take you Tweakie?

Quote Originally Posted by fullspeceng View Post
    Tweakie doesn't like to disclose his sample is 4" across and has jagged lines on the arrow

For a smooth finish at 1000dpi look at our 2.3" sample here (zoom on the arrow):
    http://www.fullspectrumengineering.c...ztecraster.jpg

Engraved in 10 minutes on our 40W low cost laser:
    http://www.fullspectrumengineering.c...serv2-40w.html

How long does that take you Tweakie?
    Smart Arse

Fullspec,

Unfortunately you picture doesn't zoom to any where the detail necessary to get a true comparison.

Perhaps you would be prepared to provide a more detailed shot of the arrow which you mention. Would be most helpful to me if you could.

Tweakie.

It looks great to me Tweakie! I don't have too many customers using a magnifying glass to examine their decals, and if they did, well they would likely get it stapled to their forehead. (nuts)

Zax.

Thanks Zax, there will always be people who can do better.

I would really like FSE to post an enlarged picture for accurate comparison.
    I have a sneaky suspicion that I can do better still

Now there's a challenge for you Henry.

Tweakie.

The challenge is made, gauntlet thrown down... get the dueling pistols out (or at least the lasers)!

The material will have a lot to do with the edge quality too.

It sounds like the discussions over on the photography forums, where people are 'pixel peeping' at their 21MP D-SLR photos and seeing jaggies or sensor noise - in reality you wouldn't notice even if producing a huge poster.

Zax.

Tweakie:

We are a transparent company with nothing to hide. Our image is large enough for you to see the lines are clearly cleaner to the naked eye.

Under 40x magnification they are still sharp.

We are happy to do apples to apples testing against your system.

Here are the factors that must be the same:
    1) You must use the same material. We ran this in oak and you ran it on some other material. Suggest something that is easily accessible and we will run it the same.
    2) You must run the same image at the exact same size. Our original image had a black border and our logo on the bottom. It is exactly 2.315" x 2.668". Since you changed our image we cannot compare it.
    3) You must state 1) how long it takes to setup the image from the time you save the image to disk to the time it starts engraving 2) how long it takes you to engrave the image

Complete these tasks and we will repeat with the exact same parameters.

We are 100% sure our controller is bit perfect. Not only can you see the difference at 1000dpi but we are happy to show the signals captured on a highspeed 1ghz oscilloscope which shows less than 10ns variation between the pulse width on all axes.

Why do people insist on downsampling the image then enlarging it to a different size and using a different material?

It is frustrating for us to suggest a simple apples to apples comparison and people insist on deviating from the test plan so the two results are meaningless.

Scientific testing requires scientific methods.

I am really disappointed that FSE will not put up a higher resolution image to enable accurate comparison.
    Still, all I could do was ask.

Some image comparisons on the data that is presently available.
    Brown - FSE
    Gray - tweakie
    B&W - original bitmap.

Tweakie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fse2.jpg   twe2.jpg   bmp2.gif  

It looks like the oak add a bit of 'smoothness' compared to the other material.
    But it's indeed an apple to pear comparison, different material, probably different engraving depth, etc. Hard to compare both..

Anyway, if you've found a proper method to compare the differences, I'd be happy to be part of that and engrave it using my rabbit HX6090 machine.

Fantasy2,

I don't think there is any way of actually doing an equal (apples / apples) comparison with anything produced from my machine. It is just so different, in so many ways, from a standard laser machine.

If you have the time to spare, I would be most grateful if you would engrave the Mayan with your machine and post the resultant picture. I would be extremely interested in seeing this.

This was done just for fun and has started to become resolution limited by the focal spot size of my lens. Perhaps HPDFO is the future

Tweakie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00507a.jpg  

That is pretty epic.. No one is going to bust out there 40X magnification on the spot and examine it haha.. But having more resolution never hurt anyone

Your steppers/gearing at that point though might even be a limiting factor since everything is so dang small.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Fantasy2,

I don't think there is any way of actually doing an equal (apples / apples) comparison with anything produced from my machine. It is just so different, in so many ways, from a standard laser machine.

If you have the time to spare, I would be most grateful if you would engrave the Mayan with your machine and post the resultant picture. I would be extremely interested in seeing this.

This was done just for fun and has started to become resolution limited by the focal spot size of my lens. Perhaps HPDFO is the future

Tweakie.

Tweakie,

Here is my photo of the calendar -I made it on plastic ( about a year ago ). Since I've made it on different materials and every time it just look great - espesially if you engrave it on clear glass or acrylic. Attached also zip-file of .bmp and .jpeg -pictures of the calendar.

Regards, Hannu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aztec 1.jpg   aztec 2.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by notexpert View Post
    Tweakie,

Here is my photo of the calendar -I made it on plastic ( about a year ago ). Since I've made it on different materials and every time it just look great - espesially if you engrave it on clear glass or acrylic. Attached also zip-file of .bmp and .jpeg -pictures of the calendar.

Regards, Hannu
    How long ballpark does it take to make that little guy? this is using the 40watt chinese laser right?

This one was about 10 mins. ( I don't remember exactly time ). The size of this plaque is 150mm ( ~6" ). Made with 60W laser.

you can get the EPS (vector) file here: http://wilsont3ch.com/aztec-calendar-vector-eps/

Pablo
    PS: Aztec is not the same as Mayan
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

Page 1 of 3 123