587,402 active members*
3,145 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Maintenance questions and pictures

Maintenance questions and pictures

I have read a few times that it's a good idea to take the way covers off once or twice a year and just check things out. I took the way covers off, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

The machine is an '07 VF-2ss with only 256 cut hours.

Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if you see anything funny. My specific questions are:

1)Are there a lot of chips behind all the way covers (especially the Z axis covers), or is this what you would expect to see? To what lengths do I need to go to clean things before reassembling? Rags, or Q-tips?

2)I traced most of the way oil lines and can (barely) see where they go, but how does one test wether they are plugged or not visually? I know to manually operate the pump and watch the pressure do its thing, but is that an end-all test?

3)There is rust on a number of components, mainly the X and Y servo motors and the block that the non-driven end of the ballscrew resides in. Is this something to worry about or not?

4)What else should I be looking at or testing while I have the way covers off?

5)When I reattach the way covers, do you guys try to reuse the gaskets, or do you just scrape those off and silicone the hell out of everything?

6)There were a LOT of chips wedged between the X axis way covers and the two side troughs that bolt to the table. Are these troughs necessary? I like having the front trough, but have never used the side ones.

Also, if anyone wants a picture of something specific that I can take while I have my machine apart, let me know and I'll do my best.

Thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG1970.JPG   CIMG1971.jpg   CIMG1972.JPG   CIMG1973.JPG  

CIMG1974.JPG   CIMG1976.JPG   CIMG1977.JPG   CIMG1979.JPG  

Matt,

I'd say she looks good..nothing there to worry about..

You should see them after 6000 hours...

So:
    1) Way less that would be expected..just get the big stuff if it makes you feel better.
    2) If the Linear rails are wet then you should be good to go..I doubt that 226 hrs any of them are plugged..unless somebody used really poor way oil..unlikely
    3) Nope
    4) Nothing
    5) Both..if the gasket is good I use a gasket sealant..or just RTV..or both
    6) Not necessary but really no reason to remove them..might just make it a point to clean under then as a normal thing..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Great, thanks a lot! Now I just have to stumble my way through tramming the head to get rid of small stepover marks and I'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Great, thanks a lot! Now I just have to stumble my way through tramming the head to get rid of small stepover marks and I'll be set.
    Are you really sure you want to get involved in this? You have to do it with shims. Have you swung a dial indicator around the table on a long arm from the spindle to make sure it is out of true?

Sometimes you can get stepover marks just from tool deflection if it is a small cutter taking a decent depth of cut; if you take a final cleanup pass removing only about 0.005" they may not be there.

Regarding taking way covers off I have seen this suggested but I never bother taking them off unless there is a reason. As you can see very few chips get inside.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof, what I did today was sweep the table. I centered the Y axis, then swept a 10" diameter circle in three places on the table with a Mitutoyo .0005" indicator. The following is what I found:

@ G53 X-22.

X+ quadrant = -.0006
    X- quadrant = +.0003 (.0009" total)

Y+ quadrant = -.0002
    Y- quadrant = -.0009 (.0007" total)

@ G53 X-15. (centered)

X+ quadrant = zero
    X- quadrant = -.0004 (.0004" total)

Y+ quadrant = -.0004
    Y- quadrant = -.0006 (.0002" total)

@ G53 X-8.

X+ quadrant = +.0002
    X- quadrant = -.0004 (.0006" total)

Y+ quadrant = -.0003
    Y- quadrant = -.0006 (.0003" total)

Along with this, I found that the table is a total of .0015" out of flat, and running the indicator along the table in X, the table has as much as a .0012" bow in the middle of it.

Am I being too picky? If not, I'm going to ask my HFO how much it would cost for them to come and align the thing again. I'm sure the concrete has settled. Thanks for the help, I'm learning as I go.

I think you need to look at the levelling of the machine, particularly the two center screws; are they carrying an equal load?

If the screws are not supporting equal loads the machine can shift slightly as the weight of the table goes from side to side and front to back so what you measure as table not flat or bowed may be due to the entire machine distorting slightly. Remember you are sweeping 20" and getting maximum variation of 0.0009" or moving 30" in X or 20" in Y and getting a variation of up to 0.0015"; on a per inch basis this is very small.

As an experiment with your indicator on the 10" arm swung to the left try screwing down the left hand middle jacking screw while someone is watching the indicator; you should see it move when you only turn the levelling screw about 10 degrees, maybe less.

Then repeat your sweeps, return that levelling screw back to where it was and do the same on the other side and see what the results are. If the variation gets larger turn the jacking screws the opposite way and repeat everything.

Tedious I know but what you need to find is the optimal levelling/alignment of the machine as it is; only then should you consider shimming the head to get things closer to perfect.

Incidentally regarding your stepover marks; your maximum variation over 20" is 0.0009" which is 0.000045" per inch so with a 5" diameter facemill you have 0.0002" and you have very good eyes and sensitive fingers if you can see and feel that.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Your points are taken, and advice appreciated. In the end though, I decided to have my HFO take care of this the first time so I can watch how they do it, and know that it's been done right.

Did you know they lowered their travel time rate? It was $90/hr, now it's $60/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Your points are taken, and advice appreciated. In the end though, I decided to have my HFO take care of this the first time so I can watch how they do it, and know that it's been done right.

Did you know they lowered their travel time rate? It was $90/hr, now it's $60/hr.
    Wait till the Economy gets better, that will change.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

That machine looks really clean, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Did your HFO take care of your leveling problem? If so, what did they did they do?

They sure did. The tech came up and found that, in fact, the floor had settled and the machine was out of level. He re-leveled, then check the tram of the head, which was within .0003" in a 10" circle. He also checked the oil level in the tool changer, checked that the way oil pump shot was within spec, and looked at a lot of other little things just to make sure everything was working well.

For all that, they charged under $300. I know some people have a helluva time with their HFO's, but Sellway in California knows how to treat customers.