587,475 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > PTC Pro/Manufacture > Maintain windows display order?

Maintain windows display order?

Do any of you ProNC (and ProE) users have windows disappearing on you? I have the main window maximized and I am constantly minimizing/maximizing or ALT+TABing to bring the other windows back to the front. Is there a way to keep the main window in the back?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris Kirchen

Chris,
    What exactly do you mean? Does this happen when you're just working in one window or when you are assembling parts for example?
    Please be more specific and maybe I can help you.

Bart

In Expert Machinist, click "Create Face Milling Feature". The little window in the upper right then promps you to define several references, starting with the "Feature Floor". I select my surface, then click Done/Return, and the little window goes behind the main window.

In NC Assembly, if a warning comes up (in an information window) when I hit "Play Path" (i.e. workcell limit violations), the Play Path window will go behind the main one when I close the information window.

These are two that I can think of off the top of my head. It has happened several times before though; there was one a while back where the process for a certain feature I was making in ProE was step 1, ALT+TAB to get the window back, step 2.

I was hoping that there is a config.pro option that can force the main window to stay behind everything or to give other windows "always on top" status.

ckirchen,

First (and second, and third, etc) rule of Pro/NC is to never maximize any window nor move them around.
    They are designed to not be moved around, and having them where they appear will so ease your life

Ptc has regrded this a priority, so you can use maximized window in part and assembly mode(maybe a few others too) but on occasion you still need the "old" right side menu, and you're in trouble again. This is said to be remedied in later releases (WF5/6??) but as usual not so commonly used modules such as NC will have to wait longer.

So, for now... don't maximize or move them around

/Jonas

come to think of it, I have used 3rd party softwares to have certain windows "always on top", and I've noticed that they also have the option to be "always in the background". Whether this work with ProE or not, I have no idea. Try, and pls report back here. Just google for like "always on top".

Else, don't maximize or move them around

/J

> First (and second, and third, etc) rule of Pro/NC is to never maximize any window nor move them around.
    Yeah, I remember the same issue from 2000i. I've been spoiled with WildFire; I've been running it maximized for the last 5 years. With the text menus (mostly) gone, it has been pretty good (except for what I mentioned in my previous post).

Now that I'm running Pro/NC regularily and need to scale down the window, I guess I have an excuse to get a larger monitor

> google for like "always on top"
    I found an always-on-bottom program, but it didn't work worth a lick. I think the problem is that all of the windows are ProE windows.

While I've got your attention...can you spin the model with a toolpath showing? When I use Screen Play, the toolpath disappears as soon as I move the model.

Thanks again,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ckirchen View Post
    [I]>While I've got your attention...can you spin the model with a toolpath showing? When I use Screen Play, the toolpath disappears as soon as I move the model.
    Yes, you're supposed to be able to do that if you use Screen Play. Did you try to repaint the screen after rotating?
    If that doesn't work it's probably a gfx card thingy, put it sounds really strange.
    Get back to me if repaint works, will you?

/J

Thanks again Jonas.

If I hit repaint after the toolpath played and the toolpaths comes back and I can spin the model with the toolpaths remaining. However, when I hit play again, the entire toolpath remains. Also, when if I repaint right after I enter Screen Play, the toolpath shows up. Is that how it's supposed to be? If not, at least I can see the toolpath now.

I'm using an nVidia FX570 card. I'm in the process of seeing if I have the latest drivers.