587,386 active members*
3,723 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > MadCAM/Rhino hangs at startup

MadCAM/Rhino hangs at startup

Folks,

Been having problems with running madcam lately. Just reinstalled rhino 4 w/ SR6 and madcam v. 4.2. when rhino starts, a dialog box opens stating 'preparing plugins for first use' and i get a 'loading...' box, too. but nothing happens. i have to force quit rhino. rhino will open is safe mode. i've tried every permutation of rhino sr6, sr7, madcam 4.1 and 4.2. i am on a 32 bit version of winxp with sp3. it worked previously on this machine, but i have no idea why it has stopped...any ideas?

thanks,

~BB~

Hello bb,

Can you give some idea as to when this started? I.E. immediately after a windows update, Rhino update or madcam update?

I just recently upgraded my computer to a new I7 quad with 64 bit Win 7 and had a problem on the initial install, but not since.

Have you tried a complete uninstall of Rhino and Madcam then reinstalling them back at the same time?

If this doesn't work, please send Joakim an email with your ph number and a time to call along with a descricption of the problem. If you can do a screen capture that might help as well.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Madcam hanging at startup

Well, here's as much as I know:

32-bit Windows XP SP3 on an Intel Core2 Duo CPU @ 3GHz w/ 2GB RAM

This is a new computer. The initial install of Rhino (SR6) and MadCAM (4.2) worked fine with WinXP SP2. Then my sysadmin updated Rhino to SR7, but around the same time, autocad 2010 and 3d studio max 2010 were installed as well. Rhino will start if madcam is not installed. I removed both rhino and madcam and reinstalled rhino with SR6 and then MadCAM 4.1 and then 4.2. Neither of them work. Tried updating to WinXP SP3 and reinstalling rhino. No luck. That's as much as I can tell you.

Screenshot is attached...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails madcam_problem.jpg  

Hmmm,

It sure sounds like a compatibility issue with the windows upgrade, but I suggest you email Joakim directly, send him your ph number and ask him to call you. Give him a time that he can call, and remember he is 7 hrs ahead of central time in the US.

He is aware of this problem you have and is expecting your email.

Mike

ps if he is a little long in contacting you, he is in the programming cave. Please post back here when you know something.

And sometimes that cave is deep!

...and covered in snow.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I was having a similar problem but was able to resolve it by upgrading my Nvidia video card drivers to 195.62. You may look into this if you have a chance.

I talked with Joakim on the 18th to tell him to expect an email from giantmolecules and he told me he had already fixed the problem. It was a license issue. Go figure...right? I don't know at the times I have either called or emailed in a "bug" only to have Joakim tell me it was "user" related, only he did it really kindly!

Mike