586,262 active members*
3,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > MachOS Tormach Screen Froze and Won't Boot ....

MachOS Tormach Screen Froze and Won't Boot ....

This would be the 5th time I've had to restore Mach Tormach on my series II and can't figure out why. aggggghhh Basically ran a few parts yesterday no problems, today the computer can't get past the MachOS Tormach welcome screen.... All I see is a frozen mach OS Tormach welcome screen. Restoring again now, which requires to reset the probe, tool table and all of the machine files that I just recently worked on. Luckily I was able to back up two weeks ago, but all of my new files gone !!!!!!

Has this happened to anyone else here ?

Here's how I turn the machine on/off

Turning on
    Plug computer & machine in (wall outlets)
    Turn on the computer cabinet button

Turning Off
    Click close program after job is done
    X out mach
    Click start and select shutdown
    I wait tip the machine just about shuts off and turn the cabinet computer button off. If I don't do the last step, I can't turn the machine on from the cabinet button for the next day/job. I guess some machines do it and some don't Tormach told me.

Re: MachOS Tormach Screen Froze and Won't Boot ....

You should be able to go through the standard Windows boot debug procedure - turn on debug messages - and you'll see WHERE in the boot process it's hanging, which will usually tell you why. Then re-boot in Safe mode, and fix the problem. Wiping and restoring the whole system, should almost never be necessary.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for the quick reply Ray, but I'm afraid it's too late ! Where can I find step by step on how to do this ?

Try Googling "Debugging Windows Boot". There are lots of web pages and videos that detail the process. Basically, you use the "Advanced Boot Options" (Hold F8 while booting), and select "Enable Boot Logging". It will then spit out messages as each device/Service/DLL/File is loaded. At the point it hangs, the last thing indicated will generally be where the problem lies.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thank you guys ! Got lucky and found an older tool table, but it will work. Now I can't remember where to load the tool table again... System32 or something like that ?

Doesn't it just go in the Mach3 directory? I haven't used Mach3 in years, but I don't recall anything living outside that directory tree.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I just remembered Tormach switched it on the last update. The new address is - C:\PCNC3\macros\PCNC110M3-II for my machine, could be different for newer. Damn what a PIA !

Happens to me all the time, usually 2 reboots fixes it. The main issue is shutting down Mach, and I can tell when the PC will screw up again. If I shut down mach and it doesn't ask me to save tool table (as I'm always measuring tools) then I know that it's going to screw up on next boot.

Hmmmmm now that you say that I did notice a few funny things.... Slower mouse track speed, knocking in the X, in the low belt warning sign, when I'm not, Mach3 pin point crosshair won't move with the cutter when machining and crashed a probe tip that ESC wouldn't stop. I rebooted the damn thing like 5-6 times, nothing. Now that I restored the program, everything is fast and on point. Maybe a monthly defragging of the disk might help. IDK

Shouldn't have to defrag the PC if it's only used with Mach, actually you would do more harm than good.

Yep, another thing is when I open a new file, sometimes I have to regen the toolpath for it to show up.

Ok cool, guess it's just a Mach3 Tormach bug.... Thx ol nin J Chop ! lol