587,128 active members*
3,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machining Titanium pointers

If you are interested in machining titanium or are experienced here is an article they may offer some pointers.
    Aerospace Manufacturing and Design - April 2016 - Titanium machining tips

Re: Machining Titanium pointers

I have learned over the years that titanium machines exactly like aluminum but at 10% of the speed and feed. But what do I know, I've only been machining since I was 15 years old. I'm 71 now.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I was previously under the mistaken impression titanium was relatively easy'ish to machine, so the article was very interesting!

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I have learned over the years that titanium machines exactly like aluminum but at 10% of the speed and feed. But what do I know, I've only been machining since I was 15 years old. I'm 71 now.
    So your running slow taking light or agressive cuts Steve? And I'm assuming carbide cutters or inserts? How does HSS cope if you've tried it?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

HSS does fine, BUT, your feed rates are so slow with it that you could probably take a vacation and come back when the part is finished. Cobalt drills and roughing end mills perform OK,but for any kind of speed you will want 4 or more flute carbide tooling. Preferably coated.

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    So your running slow taking light or agressive cuts Steve? And I'm assuming carbide cutters or inserts? How does HSS cope if you've tried it?

cheers, Ian
    High speed steel will work for one or two parts, but any more than that, I'd switch to carbide. Unless you're using really small cutters a Tormach won't go slow enough to use high speed steel.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

When I was working at Douglas I had to drill titanium parts. Our method was cobalt drills, low rpm and heavy pressure. Worked okay, but we all hated working with Ti.