587,770 active members*
3,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Machine #1064 arrives in Brooklyn!

Hybrid View

Machine #1064 arrives in Brooklyn!

That's right, our mill has arrived! Machine #1064 with 8" fourth axis, TTS tooling system, basic stand, LCD arm, splash guard, and Tormach vise is now snugly installed in its little bay.

The most "fun" part of this arrival was probably the trip from the street back to the shop door. The management is FINALLY having a real sewer pipe installed so that the plumbing doesn't just drain into the Newtown Creek (site of the largest oil spill in an American city ANYWAY...), which has turned the approach into a bit of a war zone. We actually had to put each crate into the back of an F150 pickup truck to get them over the bumps and sand traps...

The bay where our machine now lives is about a foot wider than the machine + base and about 1" taller than the top of the spindle cover when the Z is run all the way up... As you can imagine, this caused the second largest amount of "fun". Thankfully we are rather resourceful (and have a metal shop down the hall), and we got it in.

Everything is now assembled and wired up, and it seems to work just fine. We haven't cut anything with it yet, but everything functions the way it should as far as we can tell.

The one problem we've had so far, which was rather disappointing, has been with the post-processor. We use VisualMill 5 and MecSoft has a Tormach post on their download page. Unfortunately, it is a truly terrible attempt at a post. Many items were implemented poorly, just plain didn't work, or created output which threw errors in Mach3. I've managed to fix them, as far as I can tell, and once I've verified this I'll send it to MecSoft. I ran a test part cutting air, and everything went smoothly. So, if you use VisualMill and are interested in using one of these machines with it, or have a Tormach mill and want to upgrade to a really great CAM program, don't despair!

Anyone else on here located in NYC?

-Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machine_on_stand.jpg   Empty_bay.jpg   war_zone_1.jpg   machine_on_floor.jpg  

machine_dangling.jpg   machine_on_cabinet.jpg  

Nice machine. Yeah, I'm in Prospect Heights. I'm guessing ("Newton Creek") that you're in Greenpoint?

VisualMill and Tormach

Hi Woyywinkl,

did you figure out a good waz to use VisualMill with the Tormach? I'm thinking of buying a Tormach and use VisualMill with it, but if there are no good post processors that would be a deal breaker.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wozzwinkl View Post
    The one problem we've had so far, which was rather disappointing, has been with the post-processor. We use VisualMill 5 and MecSoft has a Tormach post on their download page. Unfortunately, it is a truly terrible attempt at a post. Many items were implemented poorly, just plain didn't work, or created output which threw errors in Mach3. I've managed to fix them, as far as I can tell, and once I've verified this I'll send it to MecSoft. I ran a test part cutting air, and everything went smoothly. So, if you use VisualMill and are interested in using one of these machines with it, or have a Tormach mill and want to upgrade to a really great CAM program, don't despair!

Anyone else on here located in NYC?

-Jon

Doesn't Visual Mill have a post for Mach3? If so, you should be all set.

Mike

Couldn't resist. Yes it does:

http://www.mecsoft.com/Posts/Mach3.spm

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Doesn't Visual Mill have a post for Mach3? If so, you should be all set.

Mike