587,828 active members*
2,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

lOW COST PLASMA KIT

Has anyone tried these guys out before , I am intrested in one of there kits.http://www.lowcostcnckit.com/

There are a few things about the kit I'd question. I don't know anything about them but the few things are. Steppers being small as they are & direct drive to boot I'd be worried about having enough power & resolution for a larger size table. I really don't understand using a standard variable speed DC motor on the Z axis & manual jog. I'd want my Z axis to be under CNC control also. If you are planning on using plasma & especially cutting thinner material you will also need a THC (digital preferred) to keep plasma cut height correct as your sheet of stock comes & goes with heat.

Maybe I didn't read far enough or understand all I did read. I think you can do better as far as price to build your own.

Their package is attractive for only one reason I can see. The rails & rack gears etc. come already assembled. However you'll still have to mount the "T" rails accurately along what ever table you build.

In a nut shell. I wouldn't buy it.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

How important is DHC if you are only using as a hobby table, when I hand cut with my plasma I never get any warpage, that I notice... Not going to be cutting multiple objects at once!

Quote Originally Posted by Pure-Powder View Post
    How important is DHC if you are only using as a hobby table, when I hand cut with my plasma I never get any warpage, that I notice... Not going to be cutting multiple objects at once!
    More than likely, once you have a table running. Others find out about it. You might be surprised just how much cutting you'll do.

There are people getting by without a Digital THC. There is an analog THC out there (Campbell Designs) somewhere in the $300.-$400 range.

If the air gap between metal you are cutting & nozzle on the plasma isn't kept within specs. (1) Cut quality suffers. (2) Plasma consumables don't last very long at all. (3) Under machine power, If the plasma makes much contact with any surface. You are running the risk of breaking your torch.

Check out all the build logs here on the Zone. Many have tried various methods of maintaining torch height. Some work to a certain degree. Most often though. Even the people that have some sort of mechanical means of regulating TH, Still would like to have automatic THC.

Again on the lowcostcnc.com It just doesn't seem that low cost to me I built a 5' X 10' using pretty much all new parts. 740 oz in motors on both X & slaved A. Y is also a 740 Z axis is 500 oz in. Gecko Vampire drivers. CandCNC.com electronics. Mach, Sheetcam, Corel draw. Plus bought everything to build the table Industrial duty for less than their 4' X 8' kit.

It will take a little longer to source all the parts you need. If you have the ability to build the table go for it.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Smile Wiring problem

Hi Millman52,
    I am building 4'x4'plasma table. Could you help me for wiring electronic system?I am only mechanical engineer. I have 3 hybrid stepping motor and driver for each axis.I use THC 300 from Campbell Designs. Mechanical set is nearly finished but electronic set is not yet. I am not good at electronic system.I would like to know what pin number of parallel port to use with motor XYZ,plasma cutter ( hand torque) and limit switchXYZ.I use mach3 software to control.If it's possible please drop your email,I will contact you later

Hope your help
    Mongkol
    My mail:[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Pure-Powder View Post
    Has anyone tried these guys out before , I am intrested in one of there kits.Low Cost CNC Kits: Home Page
    Hello friend you buy this kit what is your opinion i was sent many emails but they no asnwer me

cherrs

yeah!