587,426 active members*
4,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

lost communication

Hi All,

I am with one problem with CNC. It has got two paralell ports to communicate the plasma power supplay and other to download programs from a pc. When I establish a communication between CNC and Pc, the communication between CNC and plasma power supply drop down. Did anyone see anything seemed? If so, how did you fix it?
    thanks for attention

What system is this? Are you using the Campbell THC300 on port 2 and something else for the motor drive interface on port 1? What is the control software? If it's MACH then the ports are independant. You have to make sure the address for port2 as entered into MACH is correct.

Also it may be some sort of grounding problem. On some systems (like the THC300) the THC plasma side inputs are isolated from the PC side ground and if you were to get that grounded together by accident it can cause strange things to happen.

If it's the THC300 we support that product along with the digital MP1000-THC on the CandCNCSupport group on Yahoo.

Informational bit: We (the owners of CandCNC) did the original design on the THC300 several years ago. It is sold through Campbell Designs. The 2nd generation digital THC the MP1000 was introduced about a year ago and is sold through our CandCNC site. We support both products (and other things we know the answer to) on the listed support site. Gawkers are welcome (:-).

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Hi Tom ,
    The system used is one CNC model Edge II.
    i am using the plasma power supplay HPR 260 and in one port and in the other port I am using for communication with host pc to download programs.
    As regards the grounding I will verify if they are grounded together. As I got what you wrote, the grounding should be separated, right?

Thanks
    Alex S.A

Not unless the system is designed for separate grounds. I have no experience with any of the products you are using so I can't give much help.

I don't know how your ports are set up - I had to buy adapters to go from USB ports to parallel. The first adapters were too slow of speed, even though they claimed to be fast. Bought a different brand adapter recommended by Dynatorch, and all communication problems disappeared. Maybe this has nothing to do with your situation?
    Ric - Boss Frog