587,436 active members*
3,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking to Buy a lathe

I am looking to buy a lathe to add t my CNC X3. Maybe to CNC the lathe at soem point.

I am looking at the Grizzly 9x19 and 10x22 cause I want to be able to do mor than and 8x can do if I ever need to. Any suggestions or other options I should look at in the $1100 shipped ranged?
    Donald

I would either get the cummins 10x22 which is a sieg c6 like the ones syil uses, or the grizzly combo lathe(also a c6) and mill, they ship in different boxes, then either sell the x2 or buy a base and use that one also. I have had a 9x19 for about 6 months, and quite frankly its not all that great, its a good little lathe mind you, but its not up to the c6 in my opinion. Cummins was selling theres for around $800 otherwise watch for some old iron, I have picked up a logan 9x19 and its a nice machine considering I only paid $300 for.
    The g4000 has to be moded pretty much right out of the box in order to get it to cut right. I cannot say about the 10x22 although it looks alot like the 9x19 several people have bought that lathe here as its only been around since the begining of the year although I have not heard much since.

chris

Good info, I doing my research now, so will for be checking in on those you recommend. I have been looking for some old iron, just have not got lucky yet.
    Donald

What about the 9x30 lathemaster, anyone know much about it?
    Donald

Donald,

I have a Grizzly 9x19. I like it fine but if I were buying today, I would opt for the 10x22, mainly because of the larger spindle hole.

I like the looks of the LM 9x30 also but I live in the northwest so Grizzly is a lot better freight option for me.

Alan

Both of the lathe master machines recieved good reviews, esp the 30.
    One or two people who have had the 9x19 in the past seemed to like the LM machine. The Harbor Freight and LM 8x are the same machine.

chris

i find this site very useful when i need to buy a lathes

I was in the same position.... about 6 months ago
    The 7x was too light from what I was reading here.
    The Sieg C6 is a nice machine!
    I bought a 8x14 (missnamed 8x12) from HF
    Reason is budget, Harbor freight sends out cupons if you sign up for them. the 8x14 is a store item (special order) So I got a nice lathe for $460 with no shipping charges and I was able to look at the lathe when it arrived just incase it got dropped. All was well.
    Lathemaster has the goodies to go on the lathe as their 8x14 is almost the exact same item.

you really can't be the 9x20 or 9x19 for value. wholesale tool has them for $750 brand new. i think you can get them at HF for $699 every now and again. granted they need some mods but they aren't difficult and are fairly inexpensive. the hardest part is getting the correct tooling. i personally prefer inseted tooling. don't buy the cheap sets from ebay you get what you pay for. but my 9x20 does just fine. the biggest draw back is the small spindle bore.

http://www.annisquamgranite.com/lathecomparo.htm
    has a lathe comparison - maps out some points of many small lathes.

or just wait a little while for the new Sieg KC6 CNC lathe to hit the USA. I'm in the same boat at you but I need CNC right from the start to make the parts I need to make so this new lathe looks very appealing.