587,827 active members*
2,934 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Lincoln Tomohawk 1538 on samson/plasmacam cut quality

Lincoln Tomohawk 1538 on samson/plasmacam cut quality

I have just purchased a samson / plasmacam 10 x 5 table, with a Lincoln tomohawk 1538 plasma. I am having problems with the cut quality. Mainly the angle of the cut in certain directions, especially on thicker steel. Also too much dross. I am sure this is down to amps, speed, cut height etc. Does anyone run a similar machine? Can you help?

I own a PlasmaCam machine...equipped with the Hypertherm Powermax45 (equivalent power to the Lincoln plasma). Cut quality is excellent, square, clean edges up through 1/2", excellent consumable life.

The Lincoln is a relatively low duty cycle plasma designed for hand cutting. Many are used for mechanized cutting......but reports of poor consumable life, bad cut angularity and exceeeding duty cycle (power supply shuts off) are fairly common.

Best bet is to contact Lincoln directly.....maybe they can work with you on settings for cutting each material thickness.....such as speed, pierce height, cut height, pierce delay time, etc. These will help with your issues.

Here are pics of some cuts from my PlasmaCam with the Hypertherm plasma...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    I have just purchased a samson / plasmacam 10 x 5 table, with a Lincoln tomohawk 1538 plasma. I am having problems with the cut quality. Mainly the angle of the cut in certain directions, especially on thicker steel. Also too much dross. I am sure this is down to amps, speed, cut height etc. Does anyone run a similar machine? Can you help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2360.jpg   IMG_2948.jpg   IMG_0507.jpg   .250 cuts 001.jpg  

.250 cuts 002.jpg  

Thanks for your help Jim. Are the pictured cuts straight off the machine or have you knocked the dross off?

Most are as cut. The 1/2" needed a little dross scraped (not ground) off especially on the holes. The rest may have had some light beads that pretty much fall off from handling.

Jim Colt

Thanks for your help Jim. Are the pictured cuts straight off the machine or have you knocked the dross off?

Could you tell me the optimum speed / amp settings for different thicknesses on your machine please?

There are 17 pages of cut charts in the operators manual for the Powermax45....these are to cover different thicknesses of steel, stainless steel and aluminum.....and provide amperage, cut speeds, pierce heights, cut heights as well as arc voltage....and consumable part numbers in both imperial and metric measures.

Settings for the Hypertherm system will not work with your Lincoln system...the power supplies have different killowatt outputs and the torches are of different design.

Jim Colt

Here is a sample for cutting steel:

Could you tell me the optimum speed / amp settings for different thicknesses on your machine please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutchartsteel.png