587,593 active members*
3,961 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wink Life without a PC

Funny thing happened in the shop today. I had 8 parts that needed an odd angle cut. So I put the sine plate on the mill, pulled out my calculator and the batteries are dead. My first reaction is to head for the office and use the PC to check the sine of the angle. I had to laugh at myself over how dependent I’ve become of calculators and computers. I pulled out my handbook and looked it up. I haven’t opened that book in at least 5 years.

Gary

Re: Life without a PC

Originally posted by duluthboat
    Funny thing happened in the shop today. I had 8 parts that needed an odd angle cut. So I put the sine plate on the mill, pulled out my calculator and the batteries are dead. My first reaction is to head for the office and use the PC to check the sine of the angle. I had to laugh at myself over how dependent I’ve become of calculators and computers. I pulled out my handbook and looked it up. I haven’t opened that book in at least 5 years.

Gary
    handbook? What handbook?!?!

'Rekd teh tripple redundant calculator battery system..
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Smile

Looking at your avatar, at least you know how to use a pencil.

In my computer work, i write less every day. My handwriting actually deteriorated a bit the last few years...

Ed.
    Not the horse, of course of course...
    Building my own Scrapheap challenge CNC, or is it Junkyard wars CNC?

LOL!! I started writing code with a pencil on paper, then typing it onto tape. I remember those days, but not fondly. My calculator has new batteries.

Gary

Yes, sometimes I have trouble doing simple addition/subtraction. It's funny, really. Calculus I can still do, it's arithmetic that gives me the most trouble.

Now, where did I place that decimal point? Oh well, it' not really important, right?
    My name is Electric Nachos. Sorry to impose, but I am the ocean.
    http://www.bryanpryor.com

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i remember the days when i first started learning cnc.
    i took the manuals for a boss 4 and boss 9 bridgeport home for the weekend and started writing simple g code by hand on paper then typed it into the machine then after mastering this was allowed to type it into the computer and sent it to the machines.
    it did force me to understand g-code and program editing.

i don't do anything without my computer anymore and wouldn't like to think how much longer it would all take without it.
    the work for complex contours, roughing and programs of large size would be a nightmare without a cam package of some type.
    (i remember it to well)

i still keep a hand book and a trig book in my drawer just in case but hope to not need them.