587,917 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lathe Home Position question

Assuming this is correct, is the "Home Position" going to be -X max and +Z max? Farthest possible travel from the chuck?

I'm not sure there are any rules on where to locate the home switch. On both my CNC lathes, the X is about 1/2" from the + limit and the Z is 2/3 the way to the + limit.

Karl

Well, I've got my Z switch within maybe 1/4" of max + travel, and was planning on doing the same (only - ) for the X switch location.

You are saying though that your X home position switch is in the + direction, or into the chuck?

Mach sez: it's usually best to set the Z home position near the tailstock's normal position, and X as far from the centerline as possible. It then goes on to say that if it's set up like this, the axes will always be programmed - from here.

This makes sense with Z, but is contrary to what is shown on the X -/+ direction of the pic of the coordinate system.
    Which is right? The pic of the coordinate system or Mach?

I actually have my x home switch in the negative extreme and the Z in the negative as well, but I have it "floating" on a rod so I can adjust it for smaller jobs so it doesn't have to travel as far.

Hope this helps-
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Levelvialbman1.jpg   GeckoUpdate5homevial2.jpg   GeckoUpdate4.jpg  
    Dave->..

Thanks for posting those pics Dave, I like the concept of a floating home switch.
    Now when you say that your X switch is in the extreme negative position, is that per the lathe coordinate system pic above?

Guess that raises another question: is the "Home switch" and "Limit switch" one in the same? They seem to distinguish between the 2 on the wiring diagram from Homann Designs website.

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    Thanks for posting those pics Dave, I like the concept of a floating home switch.
    Now when you say that your X switch is in the extreme negative position, is that per the lathe coordinate system pic above?

Guess that raises another question: is the "Home switch" and "Limit switch" one in the same? They seem to distinguish between the 2 on the wiring diagram from Homann Designs website.
    Yes, correct on the reference pic above, and yes, the home switch I have set up in Mach 3 as the home and limit switch, and then I use soft limits at the opposite end of the X.

Obviously using the soft limit on the Y would be a pain as I'd have to change it everytime since I have the Z floating, but it is still a home and negative limit switch. I just a lways make sure to run through the extents of the job to be sure not to run into anything.

Some asked for full shot of the lathe so here is the latest shot, but I have since made and installed an index plate on the sindle as well as an RPM sensor for threading and controlling the speed through Mach 3.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TaigLatheCNC4.jpg  
    Dave->..

Wow, nice furniture-grade stand for the lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    Wow, nice furniture-grade stand for the lathe!
    lol! Actually it was a solid front faced (Kraft Maid) kitchen drawer turned sideways, and cutout for the housing.

It fell down 3 flights of stairs and if you look close, you can see the dovetails are spread open at the bottom, but have since been epoxied and stabilized.

The lathe is mounted to a top tray of hdpe that can be lifted off for access to the lower controls. I actually would like to redo this setup in one rack mount controller box, but as we all know, time is something that doesn't happen in quantities lol!

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave->..

Lol, yeah, I did notice the separation of the dovetails, but I didn't think any less of your apparent woodworking skills! ( well, ok, maybe a little less) (nuts)

Ha, I like the Gecko (pic) inside logo. I have a tee shirt that looks like Intel Inside at first glance, but Intel is replaced with a similar word in Tagalog (Filipino) that means "stupid":rainfro:
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

I need one of those stickers for my front door, because I've got an iguana!
    BTW Dave, where did you get that sticker?

It's actually not a sticker, I drew that up and then engraved it into the panel

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GeckoUpdate3.jpg  
    Dave->..

VERY nice Dave!! :cheers: