587,427 active members*
7,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

laser beam split after cleaning tube lense

Hi,
    2 weeks ago I bought k40 40wat laser. yesterday I changed a mirrors and cleaned mirror on a laser tube. after that laser beam splitting. mirror on laser tube is clean, tube done less than 10h. on a low power you can see laser beam inside tube hitting side.
    any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Hi,

What you can see in the tube is a high voltage Arc not a laser beam. Figure 8 shaped beams from cheap tubes aren't unusual (TEM01) and can be quite normal for that kind of tube, they can also be the product of a cracked output coupler (exit lens).

So long as the machine is still working fine then I wouldn't worry too much, if power is dropping then you may have a cracked coupler (that mean a new tube)

cheers

Dave

Have you in any way moved the tube or even slightly changed its position?

When you say it is splitting, do you mean you can see two cuts next to each other(like a ghosting effect) ?

If you have moved the tube and you are getting ghosting in cutting it is more likely you have changed the beam path and it is now hitting your laser head nozzle inside.
    You will need to realign the beam to make sure it goes straight through the middle of the nozzle and everything will be back to normal.

To check and make sure it is an alignment issue you can remove the nozzle and try to cut without it. If there is no ghosting without nozzle installed it is the alignment-nozzle problem.