587,227 active members*
3,693 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kmotion/KFLOP - Z axis as DRO

Hi Tom -

I've been using Kmotion/KFLOP on a converted Supermax 3 axis mill for a couple years and am very happy with it. I generally do everything via Gcode or purely manual so this has not been an issue before...but, my current project needs XY precision but the material is very delicate and I have not had success drilling it via automation. How can I turn off the Z axis servo (free-wheel/manual), retain the Z axis position display, keep XY servos 'on', all from Kmotion? I found a couple hints (below are the excerpts), but can not seem to get it to work. It would be nice to have one of the user buttons basically turn on/off the z servo, i'm just not that smart. Can I hand-jam something like (CMD, PWMC8=0), but then how do I undo that?

"Regarding free-wheeling the motors: I think if you set the Peak Current Limits to zero this will put SnapAmp in current fault mode with all MOSFETs turned off. PWMC8=0 may also work. Commanding a current of zero should be like an open circuit."
    and
    "I would think that you can configure everything like a normal 3 Axis XYZ servo with encoder feeback. But then in KFLOP set the Output Type to "None" and set a large following error so the axis never faults. In this case it would be just like a real XYZ servo system where the Z axis just happens to never be commanded to move from zero and where "large following errors" occur and (are displayed) by your manual motions."

Thanks,
    Brian

Hi Brian,

Try the Attached Program. It should enable/disable the Servo Output and toggle a KFLOP LED to show the current mode Auto/Manual. You will need to change the file name extension to .c and assign it to a User Button.

Just writing zero current (one time) to the PWM wouldn't work because the servo is continuously writing commands to the PWM.

I wasn't sure about your Servo Type, Axis Channels, or PWM Channels so you may have to tweak the program for those.

HTH
    Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Thanks Tom, I'll try it tonight. I really appreciate it!!

Brian