587,887 active members*
3,285 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > KM3P spindle controller and both monitors

KM3P spindle controller and both monitors

Hi,

I have two KM3P's which I had all the controls rebuilt on both of them. One of them works great. But the other is a bit of a problem. I turn it on and all the green lights come on inside the cabinet and on the consel. But I get nothing on both of the monitors. Also, which I believe is the spindlw controller has red led light on it which is usually green. I do not know how I can trouble shoot this one . Please help.

shawn

The monitors are the only thing in the machine that runs on 12VDC. I would check that first. You can open the back of the console & look at the tube filaments in the end of the picture tube near the white multi-pin plug, they should be glowing orange.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT touching the HV lead wire that goes to the picture tube glass, or any electronic parts or wires that are attached to the end of the board near that wire. That HV lead has 20,000 Volts on it, and some electronic parts on the circuit board have 600 Volts on them.

I looked in the back and both monitors were not glowing in the back. Where would I check for the 12VDC to see if it the power going to the monitors.

thanks

winds1sj

I've got a BMC-20 so my wiring is vastly different from a knee mill.

But, some things are similar. Somewhere in the electrical cabinet will be a DC power supply. On my machine, it's got an array of multi-colored wire running to it, and it's in a gold perforated metal box about 6" wide by 15" long by 2" deep.

The wires are color coded. Get a multimeter and check the voltages. Keep in mind that my machine is a different model, and I don't know if Hurco used the same color codes on all models. You could also measure the voltages on your working machine and compare them.

Gray is the return, ie, 0V. Put your black multimeter lead here.
    Yellow is +5V.
    Orange is -12 V.
    Brown is +12 V.
    Blue is +24V.

Green/Yellow is the chassis ground.
    Black and Red are the AC voltage input. Don't need to check these, as your +5V is working. We know this because the LED's on the console light up.

See if you have those voltages on those wires at the power supply, then we can go from there. I may have mis-spoken earlier, as the +12V might be used for the analog command signal amplifiers, so that might be the problem with the spindle drive, too. At least, I know the -12V is used for the analog command signals.

To troubleshoot the spindle drive, you'll need to find out who made it. There are several possible spindle drives as I understand it.

I checked the transformer and all voltage is correct. I checked inside the console and found that there was power coming in, going to the crt controller and then the CRT cards behind the CRT showed power coming in and going directly into the CRT. Not sure if its the correct power but with the transformer being good i am assuming so. Im at a lost. I switched BX1 on the crt controller to see if the CRT would show text but it doesnt.

Please help.

Next to the 10 way ribbon cables on the CRT driver card is a Picofuse. It looks like a resistor but single colour. If I remember correctly, it should be 2A.
    Stick your meter on DC amps and measure the current draw. If it's under 2A, you may get your picture back by changing it. Repeat for the other CRT.

Check the switches on the memory board are set the same as your working machine.
    Make sure the switches on the Personality card are set ok.
    Pull both dual axis cards and see if it starts without them in the system (it will run slow without them).
    If practical, try the cards from your other machine to isolate the fault.
    Check the P2 backplane card (the smaller of the two in the rack) to see if it has corroded tracks or swarf on it.

I just had a problem with the spindle drive on my hurco. It ran in reverse no matter what I did. (G code or conversational). I just bought this mill and it traveled about 900 miles on bad roads. Late last night I pulled out the spindle drive card and re-seated it and it works fine, now.

bloke,

Thanks for replying to my message.

Jackal