587,442 active members*
3,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

keyway machining on machine

i seen some videos where keyways were being cut on a vmc using a carbide insert on a toolholder using a series of up and down plunge cut motions while inching forward to square up a machined contour.

i am curious as to which toolpath to use in Mastercam x4 and a haas tmp1 to perform this same idea.

also if i wanted to cut several keyways in the same bore along different rotations is the a way to index and lock the spindle,or will i need a rotary axis on the z axis to index the part instead of the spindle
    thank you for any advice.
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

I've done that before but I simply programmed it manually. one thing you might be worried about is the tool rotating during the movements. When I did it I put the machine into low gear and also knocked it up against a gauge setup to ensure it was correct. In retrospect it was barely a CNC operation when finished.

In masterclam you might be able to use that z-plunge toolpath (or whatever it's called), as long as you get it to work in a straight line. I've never used that feature before myself.

I would call HAAS and ask if a TM-1 is strong enough to do this?

You might be better off buying a small shaper for this one task instead of ruining your machine.

Tim

Ultimately, this really is all about chip load. If the tool is taking 0.002" shave cuts per pass, there probably isn't actually any force at all on the z axis. In fact, it's probably still falling under its own weight to take that light cut at a keyway width. There is obviously some load on the spindle bearings but, it can't be that great.
    Greg

If the spindle is rotating, then there shouldnt be a problem, if its stationary then I wouldn't recommend that since it can/will cause false brinelling of the spindle bearings.