587,348 active members*
5,547 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hitachi Seikis > Keypad stopped working on Hitachi Seiki Lathe

Keypad stopped working on Hitachi Seiki Lathe

Hi,

I am in need of some help. I have a 1998 Hitachi Seiki TS15 lathe with seicos sigma 21L controller. The issue is the keypad stopped working all of a sudden. The section on the left side where you can manually index the turret, select MDI/Memory/Edit/Tape etc and other buttons on the left side of the panel work fine. All of the buttons under the LCD screen including the numbers, letters and soft keys across the bottom of the screen stopped working.

I know what board is the keypad control board which has OPIO-L66 on it. Does this board control all the keypads? Is there another board that would effect the involved keypad but not the other?

I appreciate any help.

Clinton

Re: Keypad stopped working on Hitachi Seiki Lathe

Clinton

your Function / Numeric boards (NC Keyboards) are linked directly to the Fanuc Main control via the JA2 port (Should be labled MDI). Re-seat that plug and see if there is any difference. From the Fanuc main JA2 - it goes to the FNKB which is stacked ontop of the numeric keyboard right behind the LCD / Keyboard are and connects to the Function softkeys as well. You can try to re-seat those connections as well. Try that out and let me know

john

Quote Originally Posted by shas595 View Post
    Clinton

your Function / Numeric boards (NC Keyboards) are linked directly to the Fanuc Main control via the JA2 port (Should be labled MDI). Re-seat that plug and see if there is any difference. From the Fanuc main JA2 - it goes to the FNKB which is stacked ontop of the numeric keyboard right behind the LCD / Keyboard are and connects to the Function softkeys as well. You can try to re-seat those connections as well. Try that out and let me know

john
    Thanks for the reply John. Your right on the money with the labeling of the boards on my machine. Unfortunately I have already tried all the above while I was waiting for a response. Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Clinton

Clinton.

OK what was the condition surrounding the loss of the keyboard. Was the machine working without issue? Did you lose battery / data at all or was it just out of the blue

Quote Originally Posted by shas595 View Post
    Clinton.

OK what was the condition surrounding the loss of the keyboard. Was the machine working without issue? Did you lose battery / data at all or was it just out of the blue

The machine is new to me and was moved a couple hundred miles in placed in my garage. I just got power to it about 3 weeks ago and it has been working fine. I went through and made sure all the boards and connections were secure from the move.

I just figured out how to upload a file to it using the RS232 port. I hand typed a simple program into the controller before this to do some testing and set up. All was working perfectly. Was trying to run the program as I am new to this controller. I seem to remember the buttons in the area of issue starting acting funny. Then all went dead in the NC keypad area. It did seem at first that if you tapped the panel near the keypad it input to the screen a few bits of information without hitting a button. Now its completely dead.

I opened the electronics enclosure hoping to see a loose wire. What I did not is one of the screws holding the FNKB in was missing and the black connector that plugs that board into the keypad below it was not plugged in all the way. However after securing it and checking all the connections it still is doing the same. Its almost as if there is no power to that NC keypad anymore since all are dead. I do have 6-7 manuals for the machine including wiring diagrams although I am having a hard time figuring out that section and where the power comes from for the keypad.

I am thinking maybe the FNKB board is damaged from not being secure in that corner effecting the power circuit. I am hoping it is that and not a main CPU board problem.

John,

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Clinton

Hi All,

I just wanted to give everyone and update on this post and put it to rest. I ended up finding the small ribbon cable leading from the "soft key" function buttons under the LCD screen was being pinched while going through the electronics door causing it to ground out at that location. I have resolved this issue.