586,058 active members*
4,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

K40 Locking up mid opertaion

I am running a K40 with MoshiDraw 2013 and it will lock up 2/3 way through the operation sometime. I have also had it just cut a random diagonal line.

I checked and made sure the controller and power supply were not overheating and the water for the laser is still cool.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim

You got farther than I. Mine won't move in the Y-axis. I have been doing a lot of reading on this thing. It seems Moshidraw is just very unstable. The general solution I am seeing get a AWC608 controller. I hate this thing.

I'm trying to avoid buying the new controller if I can as it cost nearly as much as I paid for the machine.

I have had it run a number of times with no issue but the randomness of the issue makes it hard to actually produce anything .

Tim, i had the same identical thing. 2013, engraving, locked up, reset it and it homed, switched on the laser and diagonally cut across the machine, since my has no interlocks, it'd be real bad.

2013 doesn't seem to work well, 2012 did.

new controller seems best bet.

Is the machine locking up in the X or Y-axis? Anything on the display or does the display go blank or does the machine reboot?
    X-axis is normally a moving home sensor and the wires can break.
    Look for bad connections if the screen goes dead on the psu output and main board and screen itself.
    Check first for bad connections from mains to the machine even loose fuses.

I read it locks up often. Which is why so many move to the DSP and laserdraw.

sky1, i redid some of the wiring and fixed a bunch of out of the box loose connections. I'm reasonably sure its just a problem with the controller and moshidraw 2013. since

works relatively well with moshidraw 6
    works relatively well with moshidraw 2012
    resets/crashes in pretty much the same place in moshidraw 2013, i can run the engrave twice and it'll fail same place.

shame since moshidraw 2012 has an annoying bug in the coordinate input box that make it act on the input before you've finished typing the number, so if you're at X20 and want go go to 10, it'll move from 20 to 1 , then on 0 will move to 10, and i you type before it finishes moving, it'll give you an error , from what i understand you can't send usb data to the chip while the lasers working, because the pins serve a dual purpose.

and since moshidraw is exe packed and protected, its harder to get in their and fix the code.

I have had a K40 machine for a little over 1 year now.
    When i first purchased it . It cam with the intergrated Moshiboard Software and powerboard.

The Powerboard is the problem in all these machines..

The Moshidraw board will freeze and stop randomly and sometimes stop altogether..

I went through 3 moshiboard boards before i gave up...

It is all because these Moshidraw boards operate all functions that make them prone to shutting down..

simple solution is to get on the website

AliExpress.com - Online Shopping for Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles from China.

which is the chinese suppliers version of ebay...

search DSP CONTROLLERS AWC608

once you have gone through a few sellers you will stumble upon the right one who is willing to help you solve your problem. I cant recall the seller i used

But i purchased a full DSP AWC608 controller from them

also you will need a new 24v power supply and 2 stepper drivers

they supplied everything for $249USD delivered to my door in Australia...

Installation was very very simple because of help i received from a guy in England who just did his K$)...

i still have the full diagram for the conversation if anyone wants it just contact me here and i will be happy to supply it and also talk you through the full process

the whole conversation from start to finish took me only 3 hours and i was up and running with basically a NEW MACHINE and it has not skipped a beat in over 11 months already

forget playing around with Moshiboard...you will never fix or master it...

if you have a moshidraw machine

CONVERT IT....

just dont use the USA suppliers as they want $700 and only supply you with the exact same product as from china...They just rebadge it....

belin, thats good to know, i was intending to swap out the electronics at some point but the high prices of some of the boards ( i paid $899 for the laser delivered in usa) was putting me off, $250 seems much more reasonable. i have a controller board i built for one of the yoocnc 3020/6040 machines that i could adapt at some point.

mostly i'm just seeing how far i can get with the machine without spending anything else on it, just for the heck of it, with moshidraw 2012 i'm getting along with it pretty well so far, no crashes tonight so far !

i'm enjoying hacking it around.

I would really suggest replacing the controller with a RDCam controller with a system which is proven to work. The latest version RDCAM6 will run from Windows8 and CorelDraw X6 . Cutting straight from your computer or from USB. Work is fully recoverable when you loose power. The software will even convert your jpeg to dot graphic ready to engrave your raster images. You will only need a 24v psu if you don't already have it in your machine.
    Shop rd320 CONTROLLERS online - Buy rd320 CONTROLLERS for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

Tim, i just did a full engrave on 2013, i used the use moshi 10105 v3 or v4 option under options, not sure if thats what helped.

I wound up just buying the new DSP from lightobjects.

Granted it was not super cheap but the machine is way more usable now.

Re: K40 Locking up mid opertaion

Hi Belin ,
    I would like to take up your offer for the AWC608 conversion .I have just had the Kit delivered . Presently my Laser Machine is running LaserDRW . I do have Corel Draw .

Thanks, Ken .