587,243 active members*
3,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 15 910111213
    I have mostly just been working on a more permanent setup. By permanent I mean before things like the wiring was just all laid around, now I have it fixed where the wires and cables that run from the servos to the control box are now hanging from the ceiling. All the other wires and cables are also more organized. Things like the speed controls and e-stops are now all permanently mounted and not just laying around. I also have made a simple vacuum system, that I mounted to the router to help collect alot of the dust the router makes. I also permanently mounted the control box so it isn't just laying around anymore. I also made a new table top out of plywood with t-nuts every 4.5in to hold down forms that I mount my parts to. I even organized all my router bits and redid all the software on the computer that I use to run it with. Its mostly all just simple things but I will try to post some photos of the setup.

Hey rherman,
    Thanks! The sign came out petty good and I am thinking of making one even bigger now We have a large round mirror and I think it would look really nice to put our name around it. I think I would have to cut it in 3 pieces, mabe out of 3/4" MDF..will see.

Hey sploo,
    Wow those are some steep prices on shipping. Man. For that you might want to consider making your own. Plus, as you mentioned, if it is dented or broken in shipping or if you need a part it is going to cost quite a bit. It is nothing more then that 80/20 excruded aluminum, linear bearings, and cheaper ballscrews. With the price your talking about you could purchase really nice ballscrews, etc. Of course I bought mine too instead of making one due to time, effort, tools, etc. As for would I buy it again... I think the 3925 machine is very nice but would say stay away from the 2525.

Hey CNCRob,
    Good stuff on your machine. If you get a chance can you post some pics of your setup. I would like to see your dust extractor method. O yeah, also the table top..

later
    taus
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

I decided to build my own, but copied the K2 3925 design. It was a lot of work, but very fun. Awesome sign Tauseef, I wish I knew how to use a cad program. Ive tried several, but they just confuse the &*%^ out of me with all the menues and tools and features. At some point I geusse I will have to take or buy a course. For now I am limited to hand coding and the limited stuff DeskEngrave does. It can make a basic sign, but not anything really nice like that. One thing is for sure, there's allways something more to learn in CNC, thats why I like it so much.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'm still waiting on mine. I was told it would go out at the end of last week and it may have, I live in Tennessee. Sure hope I get it next week.
    Taus the sign looks great man. I've got several allready drawn up so I can't wait to cut some. Starting to get really good with OneCNC Professional, it is so easy to use and quite powerful. Anyway, I sure hope mine gets here soon. I'll post soon as I get it in and running.
    Arch

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnutz
    I decided to build my own, but copied the K2 3925 design. It was a lot of work, but very fun. Awesome sign Tauseef, I wish I knew how to use a cad program. Ive tried several, but they just confuse the &*%^ out of me with all the menues and tools and features. At some point I geusse I will have to take or buy a course. For now I am limited to hand coding and the limited stuff DeskEngrave does. It can make a basic sign, but not anything really nice like that. One thing is for sure, there's allways something more to learn in CNC, thats why I like it so much.

Halfnutz,

I did a search for your machine but couldn't find it. Do you have pics?

Thanks

Carlo

Hey taus,
    Here is the vacuum system I wrote about. Its about as simple and basic as it gets but I would guess it collects about 65 or 70 percent of all the dust, especially the tiny dust particles that tend to float around and get all over everything and in your nose. I got the ideal from seeing a few others on here making something simular. I was going to but a premade system from another member on here, but I had aready ordered all the supplies to make my own and hated to just throw all that money down the drain with out atleast trying to make one. I ordered the brushes and the track to hold them in from mcmastercarr and bought a piece of 1.25" vacuum hose from Lowes. My dad gave me a new shop vac about a year ago and I have'nt never really used it except when we bought our house we vacuumed the floor before they installed the carpet. Now I have found the perfect use for it.
    First I just rounted out a piece of plywood to fit around the router and vacuum hose.

Next I cut and mounted the brush holders. I drilled and taped the two side rails with two small holes each, I used the holes to hold some set screws which hold the brushes in place. The two side brush slightly overlap the end brushes , so that they are held into place without the need of any set screws.
    <br />

From there I just glued a 1/2 inch piece of dowel rod into a hole I routed out when I cut the plywood, I then slide the brushes into place and tighted the four set screws.

All that was left to do was just install it to the machine

Here is another pic with the vacuum hose inplace. I just used a tieback to help hold the top to the router. The bottom was already a nice tight snug fit.

Here is a pic of a couple of the brushes before they were cut. I ordered three different sizes for different size bits and different materials.

Thats about it. theres not much to it. I have read a lot of people have had trouble getting there systems to work because of the routers exaust. I guess I just got lucky the exaust don't bother mine enough to really hurt it.

Does anyone have any ideal why my photo codes arn't working. they worked fine in the test forum http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...4489#post94489

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob
    Does anyone have any ideal why my photo codes arn't working. they worked fine in the test forum
    I don't, but I have noticed that in the last few days my installation of Mozilla has stopped displaying any graphics on the forum (ads, buttons like "New Thread" etc). Firefox is fine.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks to all those who replied to my KG-3925 post:-

DieGuy, tauscnc - yea, delivery and import duty is likely to be steep. I'm trying to weigh up these costs against the time and likelyhood of screwing up a self-build.

I had a better look at the 3925 construction (I'd previously looked at the 2525). To be honest, because of the use of linear bearings, it looks a little easier to make (I've never fancied trying to get a rod/ball bearing setup right).

Does anyone know what linear bearings and ball screws they use (lengths, manufacturer, part number etc)?

The reason I ask is that I expect I'd have to buy many of these parts from the US anyway (thus paying delivery and import duty). If the cost of these parts isn't that far from the whole machine, I might as well just buy one.

Halfnutz - I'd be very interested in details of your 3925 'copy'. What linear bearings and ballscrews did you use?

Arch, cbass - Have either of you guys got your machine yet? If so how's it looking?

Happy routing all!

I'M IN uK AND HAVE 2 K2 MACHINES...

Hi I'm In The Uk London And Have 2 K2 Machines.....the 3925 And The 5050 Machines....both Very Good.....i Went To California To Get The Machines.....getting Them Back Isn't Easy And Damn Expensive. If You Want Some Advice On It Please Feel Free To Contact Me. I May Weel Be Interested In Selling My 3925 As I Have Never Used It.....i Use The 5050 All The Time And Its Great.

Thanks And Good Luck

Ian.....oops Sorry Just Realised Its All In Caps.....

Quote Originally Posted by SIMONSIGNS
    Hi I'm In The Uk London And Have 2 K2 Machines.....
    Hi Ian,

I'm certainly interested. I've sent an email to the address in your private message.

Sploo, I haven't received mine yet. I called today and they said it might go out tommorrow, he estimated shipping to be about 8 days from California to Tennessee, so it'll be another couple weeks probably for me. I got all the upgrades and they are completely assembling it for me, so I can't wait to get it in. I'll post here as soon as I get it with pics and all.

Quote Originally Posted by cbass
    Halfnutz,

I did a search for your machine but couldn't find it. Do you have pics?

Thanks

Carlo
    Sploo and Cbass, Here is the link to my project log.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11087
    As far as cost, it was around 1100-1200 dollars including all the controls, so you can definately save some money, but be prepared for ALOT of work.

Heres some pics of my tupperware dust collector. I wanted to see if it would work before I spent a bunch of time making a permanent fixture, and it works OK. Some dust escapes but 90% gets collected. I cant really think of a good way to make one like this, so I'll probably do something like CncRob did. I saw one guy that took a thing like mine and then cast it in fiberglass. He molded over the prototype with resin and cloth, it was really nice. Maybe I'll try that. One thing is for sure, you have to do something, the stuff goes everywhere and makes a real mess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dust Control 001.JPG   TupperwareDustCollector 001.JPG  
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Arch,

OK, best of luck. Would like to hear how it goes when you get your machine.

Sploo and Cbass, Here is the link to my project log.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11087
    Most impressive (as is the cost).

The problem is that I have no tools suitable for working aluminium. I have a bandsaw which I believe will handle alum box section, and 1/4" plate, but no lathe or milling tools. I think this would make it difficult to construct my own machine.

But... damn... 1200USD... that price is good .

I know it has been asked here before, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the issues that have been brough up before regarding the KG-3925 have been fixed by K2 CNC?

I am looking at possibly going down to their shop on Friday as I'll be in Southern California on Friday. Knowing if they've fixed this stuff or not would be a nice piece of info before I walk in there...

Jon

One thing is for sure, you have to do something, the stuff goes everywhere and makes a real mess.
    I agree, I never would have thought they could make so much dust. You just about have to have something to keep it under control.

It's here!

I just received my 3925 on Friday. So guys when are we going to have a K2 party? woops, I just read in the manual not to mention that around any non-owners :frown:

Seriously, I'm pretty stoked. I still have a long way to go in setting it up. I expect it will be at least a month. I don't even want to turn it on and see it move because then I know I'll never get around to installing it correctly...

As far as problems that I can see, the rails already have some rust spots from fingerprints. Someone needs to tell these guys to avoid handling them, or oil the areas afterwards. They still seem to suffer from not being able to matchine flat areas "FLAT". Some of the bar stock looks like it suffered the same problems someone earlier mentioned in this thread. I hope this is only in non-critical areas. Also, the mount that connects the y-axis motor to the gantry was pretty loose. The loose bolts is just bad in my mind because now I'm looking for faults. It would have taken them all of 30 minutes to go over all bolts and make sure they were tight. I realize this is becoming a rant and that was not my initial intent. So I will end it here. If I have problems with the functionality of the machine once it is up and running...you will all hear about it!

I'll soon be starting a log on the enclosure for the machine.

Halfnutz-Thanks for the link

Carlo

Cbass, Did yours come assembled and in a crate, if so how was that? Was it in good shape and all.
    Thanks

Arch,

Yes, I had it shipped assembled in an enclosed crate. All I had to do was mount the gantry using 4 hex bolts (alignment pins are provided). I would definitely go this route again after hearing some of the horror stories of UPS ground.

Carlo

I myself am currently interested in the KG-3925, but from what I'm gathering, the price they are making you pay for their stepper motors and controllers is REALLY expensive. Is this correct? Did most people who have gotten this machine go the "build" route of putting together the stepper motors and controllers separately for thius machine? If this is the case, could some point me in the direction of great motors/controllers for a fair price?

Any thoughts or input on this would be great...I can't wait to order!

Jon

Page 11 of 15 910111213