587,628 active members*
3,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: jogging

jogging

when I jog my x axis away from the stepper, everything works and sounds fine, but when I try moving the table back towards the side I mounted the stepper on, it sounds very rough, and sometimes stalls the stepper, this happens at any speed, and it doesn't seem to matter if I support the far end of the shaft (1/2" acme lead screw, 40" span) or just leave the end free, how could I go about fixing this?

Uncouple the axis from the screw and see if the problem is in the guiding - push and pull should feel the same - if not, you have issues with your guiding.

What bearings are used to support the drive end of your screw? Is it possible the thrust is causing interference? How is your thrust being controlled on your screw?

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

it moves the same both ways, I have it guided by steel rods, and the table itself slides on two steel rails, so its supported very well
    I have the rod sitting in a journal bearing on the drive end, and I use a needle thrust bearing thats pushed onto the wall by a shaft collar on both ends, I included pictures to show what I mean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails free end.jpeg   drive end.jpeg   yaxis.jpg