587,482 active members*
3,197 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Jog Pendant or Shuttle Controller?

Jog Pendant or Shuttle Controller?

Hi All - I have just purchased a Tormach PCNC - all going well I should have it here in NZ within the month. Now I have to decide on.......... what bits?

One such decision is Jog Pendant or Shuttle Controller? - the Shuttle looks brilliant in theory - but more is not always best. Love to hear your thoughts on this before I bother the team at Tormach for their thoughts.

Also - love to hear where you have found is the best place for your PC - and if it is usually on the Tormach stand as per the photos - is swarf/coolant a problem? - and do most of you use a small keyboard and mouse?

Smile

I've the same question...

I opted for the USB Jogging pendent (PN 30552). Did'nt received my machine yet and I really anticipate it...

I have usd both , the shuttle is the way to go, intiutive , easy to use, and speeds up setup dramatically

I have both the jog pendant and shuttle. IMO, the shuttle is way better than the jog pendant. The shuttle pretty much replaces the handwheel function. The shuttle only works with Mach 3 though.

Smile

Thanks Don and DRWC - most appreciated ! I know how time consuming set up can be - so this is really good info!

Any thoughts on the best place for the keyboard and screen - and related issues - always best to get it right the first time! - or in my case the second and not third! - regards keen

I have the usb jog pad but don't use it. I have the monitor/keyboard swingarm and just pull it over to the work and use the keyboard buttons to jog. I use an electric stylus with led for setups so I only need to see the workpiece, not placing shims to touch for offsets. I'd spend the money on tooling or towards the monitor arm if you don't already have one.

Hi Keithorr - I use a similiar jogging setup to you on my current NC Mill - but don't you find it takes a lot of time - you move the spindle close to the work - then slow down the jog rate via Mach 3 entry - the move closer - then change to step - then step in to touch? and again for each axis - I think the shuttle would save a lot of time here.

Re the key board monitor position - I am starting to see how you work it. You swing it close to the work during set up - then swing it out the way during machining? Do you swing it right back? - any problems with cutting oil/swarf ? - Would a articulated or longer arm be better? would a separate monitor mounted further back be better - and just move the keyboard?

I welcome your thoughts.

I don't spend that much time setting up. The tool library is good, so all I have to do is use tool #1 (the led stylus) to find the two edges and the top surface of the workpiece or fixture and I'm done.

I'm comfortable poking at the keyboard. The added steps of continuous to step and speed change force me to focus on the process. I don't mind. I don't even machine a piece on the same day I do the CAD/CAM. I like to let it sit overnight to give me a chance to find an error or realize I forgot a step.

The arm is articulated and can move completely out of the way. It can be mounted to either side of the column. I've mounted mine on the right and there is more room to swing away on that side of the mill. If you mount on the left, you can only push it away so far and then you're leaning way over the machine. No problem with coolant splash for me.

I also opted for the mini usb keyboard. It leaves enough room for a mouse. I think a full size keyboard would take up the whole tray.

I mounted an arm on the wall behind the Tormach on the left side. On the arm I mounted a 19” LCD monitor, jog shuttle, mini-keyboard and a trackball. I like the trackball better than a mouse for this application, as there is no room for a mousepad on the arm. See: http://tinyurl.com/2hjhr8 The arm can pivot away from the Tormach when needed.
    Also seen in the pic is the computer on a shelf above and behind the Tormach. In front of the computer I put a sheet of 1/8” thick Lexan sheet to prevent coolant from getting on the computer. I also bolted a 12” tall sheet of 1/8” thick Lexan on the top left side of the table splash shield to prevent coolant from splashing on the monitor keyboard.

Don Clement
    Running Springs, California

Another plus for mounting the monitor keyboard on the right is the wire runs are shorter it you want to put the computer inside the stand (also on the right side).

Thanks for that - most appreciated!

I am also trying to decide what size and how many tool holders to order - I'd love to hear your thoughts on your what size cutters the Tormach can run comfortably in steel - and your fav cutters and cutter holders etc.

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Thanks for that - most appreciated!

I am also trying to decide what size and how many tool holders to order - I'd love to hear your thoughts on your what size cutters the Tormach can run comfortably in steel - and your fav cutters and cutter holders etc.
    I got the cnc operators set and its pretty good for most needs, a great bang for the buck. I ended up getting a couple more ER20 collets in 5/16 and 3/16 sizes from my local tooling suppliers for cheaper than Tormach sells them.

It can run 1/2" cutters with little problems, you just have to keep your depth and feed on the conservative side and you will be fine. I use mostly 1/2, 3/8 endmill holders and all of the collet holders.

Order a couple of extra collets holders, I should have and still might.
    Live free or die

I have the jog pendant. It seems to be close to useless.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi All - I have just purchased a Tormach PCNC - all going well I should have it here in NZ within the month. Now I have to decide on.......... what bits?

One such decision is Jog Pendant or Shuttle Controller? - the Shuttle looks brilliant in theory - but more is not always best. Love to hear your thoughts on this before I bother the team at Tormach for their thoughts.

Also - love to hear where you have found is the best place for your PC - and if it is usually on the Tormach stand as per the photos - is swarf/coolant a problem? - and do most of you use a small keyboard and mouse?

Question Led Stylus, Tool No1

Quote Originally Posted by keithorr View Post
    I don't spend that much time setting up. The tool library is good, so all I have to do is use tool #1 (the led stylus) to find the two edges and the top surface of the workpiece or fixture and I'm done.
    Keith,

The "Led stylus", Is that something that is made to fit in the tool collet? Did you nake it or buy?
    Do you have pictures or link to it's use/design?

Sounds very interesting, I was always concerned about cutting positioning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    Keith,

The "Led stylus", Is that something that is made to fit in the tool collet? Did you nake it or buy?
    Do you have pictures or link to it's use/design?

Sounds very interesting, I was always concerned about cutting positioning.

Thanks
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMKD?S...01=1&SICOUNT=1

$19.95

I put it in a TTS holder. That and a depth block

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INSRHI

gets me to where I need to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stylus.jpg   block.jpg  

I have the shuttle and its the cats meow, I couldnt live with out it. Saves a ton of time for the set ups.

kietheorr, it dig your setup im gonna look into that. I have been using a regular edge finder and the height gauge that comes with the CNC operators set. Your set up seems pretty slick.
    Live free or die

I made a tool for setting the height using a AGD Starrett TDI and TTS holder. See:http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/tor...view/4a78?b=11
    The AGD has a 4-48 threaded spindle so different contacts can be added. Shown is the Starrett TDI with a flat contact for measuring the height of the roll pin on an angle table.

Just to get back on the Jog pendant, Do you have a way on the shuttle pendant to pause the program on execution? Like SPACE BAR on the keyboard. Personnaly, I don't dislike my jog pendant but I found that only this option is missing (pause program) and maybe a F10-F11 (feed).

Good idea and on sale too!!

Put one on order, great deal at $32 off! Already had the LED edge finder, neat stuff man!

Sorry about the off topic, but thought this might be good to pass along. Nice deal for $49.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by keithorr View Post
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMKD?S...01=1&SICOUNT=1

$19.95

I put it in a TTS holder. That and a depth block

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INSRHI

gets me to where I need to go.