587,096 active members*
6,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 12 12311

Joe's 2006 CNC in Visalia,Ca

Howdy all .

My name is Kent as the rest of you, I was really intrigued by Joes Design .So I purchase a kit, and have slowly (after a stupid mistake (chair) glued up Z carriage wrong) been assembling it. I have completed glue up and primed all but the Z-axis carriage ( Hopefully this is the only big mistake:stickpoke , thankfully Joe is or has cut me another) I went with the 4 Axis HCNCPROPKG Package w/ 200oz-in Stepper Motors. I have assembled the board and tested it for the first voltage of 5 volts; then completed the build of the controller card. I have not built the power supply, as I have been trying to figure out what to put it in. I have since acquired a equipment rack and have commenced to tearing it apart and configuring it to be home for 19 INCH CRT, Computer and Controller. This project has also caused me to upgrade my non existent shop. Needed air compressor to paint this thing, Opp’s silly me I’ll need a sprayer also :devious: I also picked up a dust collector. I hope to locate it outside in a cabinet. I am sure I will also need to upgrade it with JLT’s ATC that is so cool. Well this is just my intro. I have been following all the Joe2006CNC builds and have learned many things from all you fine folks. I wish at this time to thank all of you for your time and effort to help everyone who tackles this finely engineered DIY CNC. Of course a big thanks to Joe for sharing his design, advice and encouragement.

O/K now that I buttered you up :wave: I have a question about computer requirement. I plan on using Mach 3, and VCarve / PhotoVCarve. I have quite a few computers that could be used for this project. Ranging from dual processor PIII 600 MHz to a 2.4 P4. I guess what I am wondering, is having to much processing power just a waste? I really hate slow computers. But figure most of the real work can be done on a fast computer and then loaded into the CNC computer. As you may have figure I am a complete Newbie when it comes to CNC. I just had to make this my education project for the year. I hope to learn and have as much fun as the rest of you seem to be having. Maybe I’ll even have to learn video editing so I can be a “Star” like Jay

Welcome to the club!

Sounds like you are well on your way!

On the PC side of things I'm a firm believer in having a machine bigger than needed to handle the job. The PC is dedicated to the machine and has Mach3, AutoCAD, and a few other useful programs loaded already. Soon I'll have VCarve loaded on it as well. The PC has a P4 3Ghz cpu, 1 gig or ram and Windows XP Pro. It tests real clean with Mach3 and seems to be performing real well.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and videos!

The minimum requirements for Mach3 are 1 Ghz. It may work on the 600Mhz, but it also might cause intermittent problems that will give you grief.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey Kent,
    That's a great intro. Great additions to the tools shed too. Compressor, paint sprayer and dust collector are great additions to any work shop. Looks like you will make fast progress. Keep us posted with your progress. I didn't see a new digital camera on your list of new tools. Got to have that to keep CNCzone happy.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your build.

David

Here is some pictures

Thanks for the replies.
    I always enjoy the pictures so here are mine, more of what everyone has seen.but these are at my house... (hope this works)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01 MostOfItGluedUp small.jpg   02 CleanedUpPipeCompare small.jpg   03 BetterUseForTreadmill small.jpg   04 poormans lathe small.jpg  

05 SartedOnController.JPG   06 ContollerFin.jpg  

Few more Pictures

Heres a few more. The refridge in the back ground will one day be a smoker, But was in dire need of paint so I used it to learn on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 07 RackNFredge.jpg   08 1stVictim.jpg   09 Before priming.jpg   10 SkinsCompletedRack in backgrd.jpg  

11 primed 3 coats.jpg  

Great, thanks for sharing. I love the "turning device" you made.

David

Welcome, looks like you're well on your way. This all looks so familiar.

Talking It was a great day

The weather here in Visalia was great in the 70's. I got off work early and was able to put on final paint "Hammered Silver" It came out decent for a beginner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GotItPaintedHammeredSilver.jpg  

What flavor of primer did you spray & how much did it take? I was planning to get a gallon of Kilz from wally world.

Gary

Cool Primer used

I asked all over and even looked on Rust “O” site to find out what they would recommend to use for the Hammered paint. I really never got a definitive answer, I think some one here used or recomended So I went with:

ZINSSER High Hide Cover-Stain® is a high-performance, all-surface oil-base primer-sealer that offers outstanding adhesion and stain killing power and dries to recoat in 2 hours. High Hide Cover Stain offers excellent flexibility and penetration making it ideal for exterior wood siding and trim. It seals in one coat offering excellent hold-out for enamels.

It sanded between coats. I used about ¾ of a gallon. I painted inside and out. Outside was sprayed with 3 coats.

I was real tempted to go white looked nice as does everyone who has done it in white. but I had my mind set on the hammered paint. I hope it stays stuck to the primer 

It took 1.5 quarts to cover It (outside only) with two coats, I should of sprayed thinner coats I think, but it looks pretty good to my old eyes. At least for what it is, if it was my car I would be unhappy. Well hope that wasn’t to much info

Kent,

Great job, your machine is looking good!

Ha, using a treadmill, who would of tunk it... well I guess you did! Great Idea!!

Hey David, look at those pipes...

Keep them coming!

I know the pipes are nice

Smile Pipes

Well ccsparky, after seeing yours and the fact I couldn't find a shiny pipe store, I had to come up with some way to get that effect, not to mention how much smother the pipe is. The only problem is the wood bearing left heat marks so it is darker in the locations where it was located. I am going to redo the holder out of 2x6 and use up some of the extra bearings I got along with some angle aluminum. Hopefully I can make setup that will allow less friction and to clean up the heat marks.

Thanks for the comments and ideas you guys are making this a better machine with improvement that you guys make. I noticed Joe made a thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29977 but nobody has consolidated all the fantastic ideas / modifications in there yet . Maybe Joe could set up some kinda of format for people to use to record there improvement/ mods. This way we have a quick reference to the tricks you quy’s have come up. Well just a thought. I know I was real happy to see the thread made, and 282 people have looked at it. I realize it is a lot of work to locate all the great ideas. That is why I suggested Joe set the rules and have everyone post there own. Maybe even score / give a brief of what it accomplished or even if they think they may have improvement to the original idea. Thanks again guys for taking the time to post your trials and tribulations while building your Joes 2006 model. ( and you know he has us all hooked and has a new plan in the works ) Can’t wait to see it.

Red face One step closer

Howdy Guys I got a few things done,here are a couple of pixs .
    I have a question for you guys. what wire are you using ? I have misplaced mine that came with my kit. I was sure I would need more anyways, but heck would of been nice not to replace what I already had. O'Well it will show up one day. I am pretty sure I will be doing this again :wee: . I saw some security wire at Lowes 6 wire I believe and it was shielded.I will check on it again. I was looking into jacks to enable me to disconnect easily.XLR 6 Pin Cable Mt(f) Neutrik Connector looks like it would work nice. what do you think? and please recommend what ever you think would work better.

thanks for checking this out, and any advise that you may have.

Kent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FrontLeftView .jpg   FrontRightSide.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by calgrdnr View Post
    Howdy Guys I got a few things done,here are a couple of pixs .
    I have a question for you guys. what wire are you using ? I have misplaced mine that came with my kit. I was sure I would need more anyways, but heck would of been nice not to replace what I already had. O'Well it will show up one day. I am pretty sure I will be doing this again :wee: . I saw some security wire at Lowes 6 wire I believe and it was shielded.I will check on it again. I was looking into jacks to enable me to disconnect easily.XLR 6 Pin Cable Mt(f) Neutrik Connector looks like it would work nice. what do you think? and please recommend what ever you think would work better.

thanks for checking this out, and any advise that you may have.

Kent
    Kent,

Your machine looks very nice! I like the legs you have incorperated into the build! Check out Jay's site he has a really nice power supply enclosure and is using some jacks for his cabling also. The cabling I am using right now is 22awg. I plan on using no less than 18awg as once I hang my enclosure I'll be adding several feet to the length of the cable and want to make sure I don't have any line loss and if I add bigger motors in the future I should be set.

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!

Thanks ccsparky,
    I will go back and eyeball Jays control box. also great idea going to 18 gage.I am watching Jay's "Tim Taylor :idea: type improvement" More power! grunt grunt grunt. I am sure his will work with out all Tims mishaps.I am sure I will look into upgrading when I learn how to do all this. More power is just better some times As for the legs they were put on the first Joes 2006. I liked the look of them in a bit. not to mention, I didn't have to round off the corners here is picture of Joe 2006 original legs ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails completewith 4X4 legs.JPG  

who cut all your aluminum parts?

Machine is looking real good. like the color.

Page 1 of 12 12311