587,431 active members*
2,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is Lasercut casuing this problem

We cut black acrylic 1/4" to hide 80mm cooling fans. I have attached a pdf of what it should look like and inserted a picture of what the machine is cutting now.

The fans used to cut fine as long as we exploded them in AutoCad. We checked alignment of the machine including the axis and we are fine. The only thing we have done is to replace the drive belts. We have a 4x8 bed. I have tried using old files and we get the same problem. I rebooted my machine to see if Lasercut 5.3 was corrupted.

I can only think of two more things to try...

Re install laser-cut
    or re-install firmware on the controller we have a the 6535

I am open to any an all ideas on what is causing this.Attachment 185078

Thanks all
    Tom

Hi Tom,
    Looks like it may be a backlash problem, especially as you state you have changed the belts.
    1/ Check the belt tensions and that the pulleys are tight on their shafts.
    2/ cut a circle, say 30mm diameter, take note of the start point and direction of cut.
    3/ Does the end meet the start? (I suspect it will not)
    4/ Look at the direction of the error (X or Y axis) as an indicator of the axis which is at fault.
    Double-check that axis for a good stiff drive mechanism.

If your machine uses stepper motors, another possibility is the acceleration rates may have been changed (causing loss of steps, never a gain of move length). This is most likely to happen if someone reloads the software on their PC without taking a backup of the SYSCFG.INI file first. This contains specific parameters for the machine. Depends where you got the software from as your copy may have a different default SYSCFG file to that needed for your machine..

Hope this helps to discount some of the possible causes or, if you're lucky, eliminate the problem.

Regards, Neil (Laser Cutting Machines Laser Engraving Equipment CO2 Fibre Plasma & Vinyl Cutters & Markers - CTR Lasers)

An update,

The manufacturer xyz-tech,com got back to me overnight and we checked the Y alignment and it was out a little so we were in the process of adjusting it when we turned the machine back on the controller would not come up but the laser tube fires...at least the first few times...now nothing happens. It is DEAD.

I ordered a replacement 6535 controller...the only thing I do not have BTW. I am wondering if the controller was dying and sending bad signals to the servo controllers, I am not sure that is possible but seems logical to me.

We have a servo drive system

Now it is a wait and see when we swap the controller out or if someone knows how to resurrect a dead controller I am all ears.

Tom