587,370 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Inlay function not working

I am using Artcam and have made a male piece using the inlay function and then cut a pocket using the same vectors using the female inlay function and both cut the correct shape but the female pocket is almost 1/16" to small. I've checked everything, but I don't understand Gcode, so I've checked all the specs in the program and everything seems correct. What should I do next? I think I'll try recutting the pocket in a scrap piece and see if it's the same. Any suggestions would be helpful, I could post the Gcoe if any one wants to see.

Generally, you'll need to cut the inlay a little smaller to get it to fit, maybe .003 or more. If you're using really small bits, you may be getting deflection. You could try cutting in the opposite direction and see if that makes a difference. Are you using cutter comp? or is ArtCAM doing the offsets. Are you sure you have the correct tool diameter entered in Artcam? Not what it's supposed to be, but the actual kerf with that it cuts. If you're going to use the same vectors, for the pocket, tell it you're tool is smaller by the amount it's off (-.003)and that should do it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Artcam has a specific Inlay function that makes the part according to the tool you are using so the parts fit. So in reality it should fit, even if it's tight that's all right but this is off about 1/32" on the pocket, it's too small.

I just took the male part and placed it on a print out of the vector and the male part looks like it's about 1/32" too big. Weird. I have to do a ton of inlay I wonder how I should nip this in the bud. I plan on cutting all the male parts first so I can test fit while the female pocket is still setup on the CNC. I wonder if this normal because of deflection? I'm going the correct speed and most of the cuts are just small passes as most of the stuff is roughed out first by bigger bits.

I'm not new to artcam but some of the functions I have a hard time understanding their explanations. Is there a way to tell set up the machining operation with the correct size of vector and bit, then put in an "offset", not sure I'm using the right term, to shave off a little more? I know there is allowances, but I'm very confused on their explanation of what it really does, or should I take the easy way out and just tell it the bit is slightly smaller so instead of setting up for .0625, set up for .06 and use the .0625 anyway? I do this already when I cut a binding channel on my guitars, as I get better I'm sure I'll find the right way to do this.

Hey Ger, I think I figured it out. The bit I'm using is .062 not a true 1/16". And in my settings for some reason it had the 1/16" in Artcam as .063. Well that would make the pocket a tad smaller becasue it thinks it's using a bigger bit keeping it a little way from where I want it. And on the other side it think it's using a slightly bigger bit so it's keeping it further away from the male piece and all that adds up. Whewwww I hope, and I'm pretty sure, that's the problem. Thank god, it was really bugging me. I'll keep you posted Ger as you're the only one who really cares....LOL