587,517 active members*
2,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

indexer question

hi all,

is anybody know if there is a way to cut a helical thread on it ?
    what I need is synchonized moves C axis with X , it is possible ?

--
    Pit

Quote Originally Posted by pit202 View Post
    hi all,
    I need is synchonized moves C axis with X , it is possible ?

--
    Pit
    It sure is.
    What Cam software are you using ?
    You might have to do some updating to a post file tho.
    Custom/Repair CNC/Machinist
    Mastercam V9.1/X/X2 Mill Lathe Solids

I wrote a test program myself , it looks like this :
    G90
    G1 X100.0 C45.0 F300
    and the X axis moves alone and then C axis rotated , maybe I need some $$ options ? rotary or somthing ?

Hmm, well if the rotary actually moved, then it must be functional
    Are you running your rotary axis from a 4th axis output on the machine, or are you using the stand alone 4th axis controller box?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

pit202;

You posted this in another thread: this is out of subject , but I`ve build my own indexer and I joined my electronic with haas with succes, I can rotate them from haas controll by a "C" keyword.

If this is the indexer you are referring to I think your electronic linking is not complete enough for the Haas control to interpolate between the X axis and the rotary axis.

If you want a true continuous path (ergo a thread), you need a servo'd rotary axis - an "indexed" axis probably can't be indexed in small enough increments to do a true/proper continuous non-stepped thread.

There is a big difference between an "INDEXER" and a "4TH AXIS" and the capabilities of either and they are easily confused due to misunderstanding of the respective device's capabilities/limitations.

Make sure you are creating/using exactly what you want/need.

My research led to the conclusion that some of the Haas rotary tables were stepper based INDEXERS that are not nor were they ever true 4TH AXIS'.

Make sure you're using the right device....

Geof : this isn`t my electronics limitation , I sniff the rs232 cable and this is so becouse the machine is want it so. ( maybe somebody know what I meant )

NC Cams : I know the difference betwean 4th axis and Indexer, I know I haven`t full 4th axis and only a indexer , somebody from my haas service told me that I can cut a thread on indexer, but I really can`t do , this is the reason I ask you guys.

Prior and this reply predicated upon the following:

a. Not ALL people are aware of the difference 'tween INDEXER and 4TH AXIS (like me, I wan't initally and damn near bought wrong device)

b. perhaps the expert at Haas service knows how - knowing what I've learne about indexers vs 4th axis, I don't see how you could thread with an indexer unless it has real fine index capabilities.

Even so, unless the steps are really really tiny, you'll have steps in the thread. We ran into this very same exact problem trying to do essentially the same thing while milling cam profile grinding masters.

If a guy promises you something via software/service/whatever, make sure he can deliver.

I will not go into the details but there is a way to synchronize X axis and rotation of the indexer.You would have to use M23 function first and disable need in CNC center for "rotation completed" return signal from the control box.
    Usually machine waits for signal that command is done.
    Then it goes to the next command.
    If you disable that your machine will not wait for completion of the M23 comand and will start executing X movement.Haas indexer is capable of rotating with certain angular speed if it is programmmed in the control box.I cannot help you with exact solution , have HAAS with 4 th axis option, but used this few years back on matsuura's.It is a pain to get it right but it works.
    It does not require RS232 cable.

Maybe if you could do the rotation thru RS232 first and disable parameter that waits for "completion of rotation command" signal.

G90 G01 C45.F5.
    X-.5 F1.

However I'm not sure if the box will take G01 and F5. command for indexer.
    I could just disregard that and do rapid movement.

Call Haas rep for indexers.They know this stuff.
    If it this sounds promising maybe I can help further.

this is a way too , thanks for it , right now my electronic box ignore the F parameter and move allways at rapid speeds , need first to do the F speeds.
    thanks.