586,032 active members*
2,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > If I have to replace the 1060 - what the heck with?

If I have to replace the 1060 - what the heck with?

Have a quandary. Have grown to really enjoy the power and performance of the Tree VMC1060 in my shop. I don't use the ATC all that often - but full enclosure, flood coolant, and feeding with CamBam has worked out well.

Seems I may be moving from my current space. I'm in fact likely to end up in a sizable home shop (that's the plan, at least), but I'm in 8,000+ sq ft now and likely won't have the kick ass 3 phase power available at home (at least not without use of a convertor). Also won't have 14' ceilings.

So now what? What do I replace it with? I know I'll miss the sheer power and rapids from the get go. I've never really needed the massive size as most of my parts are 8"x10" or less (though I've made a few that are 36" long or so).

Looking for suggestions. Really torn about this situation. Some days I'm convinced I can live with a Tormach or Hass Mini Mill - others I can't. Mostly run aluminum. Mostly run one off parts. In truth speed isn't critical just *nice*.

WW
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

Re: If I have to replace the 1060 - what the heck with?

No responses - and partly because it isn't an easy machine to replace. Top it with I just figured out it is an 8K spindle, not 4K as I've always thought (doh) and I'm keeping this baby as long as possible. Some minor things to sort due to age - but it is one hell of a great machine - and just cycled a part in well under half the time it normally takes (need to optimize speed/feeds for new found rpm).

Happy day.

WW
    ThermaeCooling.com

That really was a grip it and rip it machine.
    Box way and roller pack with 200+ ft./lbs of torque.
    I have worked with Hyundai-WIA machines that are pretty close, as far as cutting ability.
    Take a look.

Well, turns out my new space is only 10% of my current space.

Mill is on ebay now - at a ridiculously low price.

WW
    ThermaeCooling.com

Wow, that looks like a smoking deal! If I had 3-phase available I would be all over it... GLWS!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Wow, that looks like a smoking deal! If I had 3-phase available I would be all over it... GLWS!
    Thanks mcphill - I will SERIOUSLY miss this machine. Not sure if I shared here but I was told spindle went to 4K when I bought it, and never tried anything different until a few months ago. That's when I realized it is an 8K spindle. Cut job times down considerably once speeds/feeds were reoptimized. Aluminum flying everywhere - scared the crap out of some of the people I share space with the first time I was running the spindle that high and chips were rattling against the enclosure :banana:
    ThermaeCooling.com