587,518 active members*
3,313 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

I feel like giving up.

It is typical of me to start a project because I think it is going to be easy and then find out its not as easy as thought.

I have build the frame for the 8x4. I have bought the servos, I have the driver controllers.I have the transformer on order, and thats where I am at.

I just cant make all the descisions. I am trying to make an economical machine but when I get prices on components It blows me away. Its not that I dont have the money set aside to do this, Its just that I dont want to buy the wrong thing and find its been a waste. It is the pulleys, drive belt, Z arangement and mounting that is worrying me.

I just cant see how I am going to join all the componets and make a working machine. My tools are limited and my work space is either on unlevel ground under the house or on a half level balcony out in the elements.

I know this is meant to be a forum for winners, but I am not feeling like this at the moment.

I think I need someone to baby me through the whole project and after that I will take all the credit.

I am considering using this ( http://www.hepco.co.uk/hep02d_v.htm ) sort of linear bearing idea since it is a quater the price of other sorts of rails. They say it in not as accurate but it seems that the shop bot uses it and gets good results.
    Being outside the square !!!

DIY cnc is like that. This forum is great for helping you not make all the mistakes but I’ve never had a project come out perfect. Many have been surprised when they add up the cost and they only weigh it against the finished machine. You have to add in how much you have learned along the way. Take it one step at a time and you’ll get there.

My tools are limited and my work space is either on unleveled ground under the house or on a half level balcony out in the elements.
    I will bet this is most of your problem, I have been there and know how frustrating it is to try to think when all you can think about is working room or wrong tools. It is even hard to make yourself do something you want to do when you know what you are going to have to deal with the second you start.

You have all the help you could ask for right here at CNCzone, these guys know first hand what you are going through and want to help.

Why not see if you can locate a work place, maybe one of your friend’s basement or Garage.

While you cannot ignore the big picture of what you want try and look at it one task at a time, if you can make yourself do that it will not seem so overwhelming. I don't care if it is drilling one hole put that on paper and check it off when you are done.

But don't whimp out and give up, you can do it, and think how neat it will be when you get done.

And the money issue, this is another thing, there are those that just cannot afford it and then there are those that just won't let go of it

The best to you.
    Ken

Dude....uh that's American for not a Yank , don't you even think about giving up. I can vouch for the dual vee system as I have been using it for 12 yrs without a single problem. I have a rack and pinion drive and I have to clean the teeth of the rack ever so often, but other than that it is basically trouble free. You don't have to lube it and you don't have to cover it. Can you tell I am a satisfied customer. Now I do need to explain that my system is Bishop/Wisecarver but it is the same system.

I did notice in your post though that you mentioned building the machine under the house on unleveled ground. I know about the money thing if that is the problem but I would like to encourage you to follow Ken's advise if possible but if is not possible let me make you a suggestion. I don't know what you would call the brand name across the big pond but here it is called Sak-krete. All you add is water, mix it and pour it into a form. Build you some 12-16" pads that you can level and build your machine on that.

Just to encourage you, I have a cnc that makes most of my income and it was down for 4 1/2 months. Guess what I didn't have for nearly that long?? I'll be expecting that Coober Pedy any day now!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Ynneb,

Don't give up! please? That frame you made looks awesome. I enjoy your posts and your out of the box thinking. There is no single way of doing things, so it will be hard to make completely wrong choices that end up purely as a waste of money. I've seen the V-bearings on several large machines and its definitely the way I would try to do it when the time is there.... Did you get a price quote from hepco? Reidtool asks around $60 for a single grooved cam. Spoiled my good mood BTW, have you checked out the photos posted by budcan? One of the best looking machines on the site IMO.

Greetings,
    John

If you are looking for completely non-technical, moral support, read on.

I have a friend that used to say: "never take s&%t from an inanimate object." Long-term, complicated engineering projects can be extremely gratifying. It’s a process of learning something really deeply, much more than you originally expected, in order to really get it to work.

Will, bare hands, and ingenuity will get you through everytime.

Owen

One step at a time!

There is some great advice already listed here. Take it to heart. You are having the same experience that almost all DIY's have when doing complex and expensive jobs. I'll tell you what I do: I take care of the menial stuff when I struggle against the complex. Ken says to go out and drill a hole. Thats what I do. It lets the mind rest and the diversion always allows the solutions to bubble to the top.

You mentioned that you aren't sure which way to jump on materials and components. Probably 90% started making plans for our second router for this very reason. If you don't like the way the rails work on your machine, you should be able to sell them and upgrade. The trick is not making a buildt-in road block to an upgrade. All of us would like to do this just once, but with so many variables and limited knowledge, our plans have to remain in flux until we see if the machine is "good enough".

Forums for winners? Nah, if every DIY asked for help here, when they needed it, more of them would finish thier machines! You'll do ok. And when your'e done, post some pics for the next guy/gal so they can be inspired! Good luck to ya!

Ynneb,
    Keep plugging on. There is nothing wrong with asking for help along they way. That's what it's all about. How interesting would this world be if everyone knew everything. We wouldn't need TV or the internet. All those infomercial's would be off the air! Projects of this magnitude are complex and, as you have experienced, there are sometimes stumbling blocks where information gathering and decision making are necessity. They happen on even the best planned project. My suggestion to you is ask questions, gather and evaluate your information, and make a decision based on your evaluation. Based on what you have written above it seems you are getting the information but are having difficulty making the decision. Sometimes you have to be like NIKE and "JUST DO IT". This allows you to get to the next step. Eventually the project will be complete "one step at a time". No matter what you decide someone will always have a better way or idea. You could spend a lifetime evaluating them, isn't that learning and life? You can always incorporate idea's into the next project which will go much smoother ... Oh sure! Good Luck, by the way, Getting over all these stumbling blocks and completing the project is what makes all this so gratifying.

Gunner
    Gunner

And, at the end of it all, when your cnc is working and you are demoing to someone, and tell them that you made it all, they will point at the router and say, "You made that? Wow". Then the test of true character can shine through as you decide whether to accept all the glory or let Porter and Cable have their due
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Don't Quit, You CAN do this. Besides think of all the cool stories to tell your buddies and us here about how you built this very cool machine with little more than rocks and sticks for tools! The journey is as important, if not more so, as the destination. Ron

If you need a little pick me up... try setting up your servos on a test bench. (I think I read you had your drivers/servos already). Once you get those puppies whirling away you'll be reinvigorated to get the mechanicals done. Whirring servos are truly a cool sound!! BTW - the electrical turned out to be the quickest part of my homebuild and the most gratifying - even though I am still on the roller coaster of getting the bugs out and making chips.

Good Luck
    AJ

You cannot walk away now. Look at the responses you got, everybody has been there at some point and we identify with it. Like Ken-Shea said make space where you'll create the machine. Pace yourself, I always think in minutes and it takes me hour so I get frustrated. Limit your mistakes by learning from other peoples mistakes. Once I tried to put my finger as closely as I could to a revolving fan, well the blood was all over the ceiling and walls. Lesson is "At times I am a dumbass". By the way Dean of Axxus made a router from same bearings you are considering.

here is Deans 4x8 router using V bearingshttp://www.axxustech.com/Axxus4x8/axxus_4x8.htm

Thanks guys

Wow what a fabulous responce.
    Now I feel like an attention grabber.
    That was not the intention.
    I just was feeling overwhelmed.

This really is a fabulous forum full over great people.

I have spent too much money already to give up now.

I will take every ones advice, starting with pouring 4 concrete foundation blocks to put the table on. I also will clad the machine in mdf to help with the dust and grit factor for the dry soil under the house.

I will drill a hole when I dont know what else to do ( The machine may turn out like a piece of cheese by the end )

I will keep in my mind about when I can demo it to someone, and the stories I can tell others about how you guys helped me.

I will sharpen those rocks and sticks to use as tools. ( I must rely on the Aboriginee influence to be resouceful.)

I will remember that its the journey and not the destination that is important.

I will ask lots of questions and lose all pride in beleiving I dont need anyone elses help.

I wont take Sh1t from an inanimate object.

I will purchase the V bearings.( I am glad to see others have done this and it worked.)

I will remember that there is a pot of gold waiting for me in terms of what the machine can do for me. (Pot of gold, or bucket of opals) ( Joke for turmite)

I will freely part with my money even if its risky

I will learn from others mistakes.

I will still try to think out of the box. ( coz if I was in the box that would make me a Jack - ass.) ( Sorry dumb joke)

I will post in the forum my experiences so as to possibly help others along the same path.

Hey this is sounding like a creed. Maybe we should have a CNC builders creed thread where every one could add a few lines.

Thanks guys for your support. It means a lot to me.

Oh and just out of interest. Ynneb is Benny spelt backwards. In any forum I have learnt that Ben or Benny is already taken, so I figure no one would ever pick a rediculous name like ynneb.
    Being outside the square !!!

Benny,
    Now that is what I like to read, Determination.
    OK every one he's hooked \

We are looking forward to seeing your progress.

Actually, this whole thread has given me a boost as well on a project.

Ken

:banana: :banana: :banana: :cheers: :wee: :wee: :wee:
    No nice words required.
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

If you never try, you always fail. Okay, you learned that one. Lets see...oh, anything worth doing, is worth doing...period! I am still thouroughly convinced, that what my mother always told me holds true for everybody; "if you want something badly enough, and apply yourself to the fullest, anything is possible". Keep going man, you can do it.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey ynneb I though you were Hebrew! I kept looking at that name and that is all I could come up with! BTW have a good journey with the machine. It will be worth it.
    Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.
    Thomas Edison? Nikola Tesla? Henry Ford?
    One of those guys.

robotic regards,

Tom

Benny,
    Who would have ever guessed! I Haven't heard of doing any thing like that since playing the Beatles record backwords to hear "Paul is dead".

Gunner
    Gunner

Page 1 of 2 12