587,480 active members*
3,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Hurco KM-1

Hurco KM-1

I have a KM-1 and was thinking about converting it to a PC controlled machine. I bought it a while ago and have not even plugged it in yet. How good of a machine are they? I have never ran or even been around one before.

Check it for backlash on all 3 axis. That will tell the biggest tale. Any idea what type of shop it was in? Graphite, or foundary? By the way I can answer most questions by running a ball bar test on it. I do those on the side. They tell you if the bearing, servos, ball screws or axis are screwed up, or on the way to being screwed up. If you want one done call me and let me know where you are located. I will give you a quote.

Thanks for the reply, so what is the best way to check the backlash? Honestly it has been sitting in my shop for some time now, and havent even plugged it in. Also I am located in Oregon.

How to check for backlash

You can do it several ways. I like to clamp up 2 1,2,3 blocks about 10" apart. Pick up the first block moving only in the +x direction to zero the indicator. Once you have done this use your machine to set this as zero. Move to the second block (moving only in the +x direction) till you pick it up on zero. Write down the number. Now move back to the first block and go past it 1/2 turn on the jog wheel. Move up to it again in the +x only check for zero. Move to the second block only +x no over shoot and comming back. This should confirm the distance. Do the same block one to block 2 and this time over shoot block 2 and come back to pick it up only moving in the -x till the read outs on the machine say it is at the 10" number you had before see what the indicator reads and that is your back lash number. Email me direct if you want at [email protected]

Thanks again, i need to get it moved over to a wall with power and start it up first I guess.