586,052 active members*
4,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HS-1 RP pallet rotation

I bought a couple used HS-1RP dual pallet machines and so far i am very satisfied with them ('96 and '97 model years). But one problem i see is there is no verification that the correct pallet is rotated in the machine when you run a program. So an operator not paying attention could accidently start the machine with the wrong pallet inside. Is there a way to have the machine verify which pallet is in which position when a program is ran. Right now we are programming it so the pallet is rotated into the machine at the top of the program and rotated back out at the bottom of the program. But i noticed there are certain cases when restarting the program with the pallet rotated out will run the program without rotating the pallet in. This could turn into a machine crash or worse somewhere down the road.

Re: HS-1 RP pallet rotation

Quote Originally Posted by GITRDUN View Post
    I bought a couple used HS-1RP dual pallet machines and so far i am very satisfied with them ('96 and '97 model years). But one problem i see is there is no verification that the correct pallet is rotated in the machine when you run a program. So an operator not paying attention could accidently start the machine with the wrong pallet inside. Is there a way to have the machine verify which pallet is in which position when a program is ran. Right now we are programming it so the pallet is rotated into the machine at the top of the program and rotated back out at the bottom of the program. But i noticed there are certain cases when restarting the program with the pallet rotated out will run the program without rotating the pallet in. This could turn into a machine crash or worse somewhere down the road.
    Only going off of memory here, but I am certain you can build in some safeguards becuse I have used them before.
    The only thing I can think of at the moment is to use a quick macro variable check. There should be a variable for when the pallet changer is at CW or CCW rotation. Note which pallet corresponds to each direction and use a macro variable test to ensure the pallet is in the correct rotation at the start of the program. Refer to the discrete input/output section to help find the macro for pallet rotation direction.

Hope this helps.

I never got to test this out on the HS1 I used before it went away, but I found this page awhile back.
    CNC tip: A pallet testing custom macro
    Chuck
    HAAS vfo,vf3ss,sl20, Akira Seiki H4XP, CMS gang lathes x3, Dimension 1200es 3D Printer

Found some old notes and it looks like the Pallet CW and CCW will be listed as RPCW and RPCCW in the diagnostics screen.

If you can't figure out which macro to use to poll these switches, I will need to see a screen shot of the display showing these in diagnostics to help.

Good luck!