587,370 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How to machine an adapter to convert taper shaft to straight

How to machine an adapter to convert taper shaft to straight

Hi:

I have a Briggs and Stratton 18hp Vanguard engine with a taper shaft. I want to put the engine in a golf cart. There are clutches that will work on a taper shaft; however, the clutch I want to use--Comet 780--only comes in a straight 1 inch diameter. I see that I have two options: 1) have the clutch machined to work with the taper shaft, or 2) have an adapter machined to slide over the taper shaft to convert it into a straight shaft.

The link below is to an article (page 5) where a person has machined an adapter to convert the taper shaft to a straight shaft. That is what I'd like to have done. However, the local machine shops just do the typical engine fabrications, nothing as unique as what I'm wanting to do.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can provide me. What would the process be to make an adapter? How difficult? How best to get it done? Ideas where to get it done?

Thanks

http://homemetalshopclub.org/news/05...letter0509.pdf

Tapered shaft

I'd look in the yellow pages for local machine shops.
    Give them a call or visit them and see if they are willing to do the job.
    Visit them first and talk to them in person, this will give you a chance to see the shop and decide if they do quality work.
    It doesn't matter how big or small they are, if the place looks like a trash heap then chances are that's the kind of work they do. Then once you find a shop, you'll bring the engine and clutch assemby you want to mate and let them figure out the sizes.
    As for the price, figure about $50 to make this. The time to take the measurements, a sketch, material, setup and turning on a lathe, setup and milling of the keyway.

...or spend the money on a night class at a local voc-tech school.
    Learn how to machine parts and use this as your first project.

Scott
    Some of my best finds were in the trash....

Thanks for the reply.

A crankshaft with a straight shaft installed would be more than $400, so I'd be tickled to be able to get an adapter machined for $50. I'll take the article where the person made an adapter to the local machine shops and see if it something one of them can do. I've already been to one shop and was told they couldn't do it.

I'll look to see if a class is available on this. I live in pretty rural area though.

Thanks

Hi, there's three options for this, sleeve it, that is have a bush made with a tapered bore and the outside diameter to suit the clutch, or turn the crankshaft taper parallel and shrink or locktite a parallel sleeve on it.

A lot will depend on the bore diameter of the clutch that fits on it.

The last method is pretty drastic, and would be to build up the end of the crankshaft by welding, and then turning back to a parallel shaft.

The problem with this last method would be the type of steel the crank is made from and it's weldability, which will affect the temper or hardness.

If you have metal working experience, I personally would go for the weld up and turn down method, but you've GOT to know what you're doing.

Either way you won't get it done for $50 unless "yo' do it yerself".
    Ian.

...like I said 'you'll have to find someone -willing- to make it'

It's a small job and some who have shops won't consider 'wasting their time' to do little jobs.

You may want to post in the RFQ section of the forum here in cnczone.

What's the full model number on the engine's tag?
    Some of my best finds were in the trash....

kola, You might want to contact Comet. They may POSSIBLY offer such an adapter.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

I appreciate all the responses. This is an area I have no knowledge in.

Below is link to the taper shaft specifications (far right of page). It turns out it is a standard 3/16 (.1875) per inch taper. I'm going start with taking a copy of the shaft dimensions and the article where the person made a sleeve for a taper shaft to local machine shops and see what happens. I'm also going to also attempt to contact the individual in the article. The sleeve he made is exactly what I need, including the dimensions.

A number of people are putting larger engines in their golf carts. Often a person can find an engine with a taper shaft at a good price. If I can get a sleeve made, I'm going to pass on the information to others in the carting community.

Again, thanks.

http://www.briggsracing.com/library/...20hp-crank.gif

taper adapter needed??

if I were in that boat - I would first pick up an MSC or ENCO catalog and look for the taper adapter that had the internal taper to fit that shaft. get one thats unhardened and big enough for the clutch ID needed. then grind or turn the outside of the adapter to fit the clutch ID. cut a keyway into the inside of adapter using the scoring method on a lathe if nobody with a shaper can help you out OR -skip the dual keyways altogether- the alternative is to use a slot cut right thru the adapter for the length of the key needed and loctite or tack weld the adapter on to the shaft in 2-3 places with the inner and outer keyways aligned. now make and fit the overheight key using a piece of low carbon steel milled or surface ground carefully to fit perfectly snug in the slot width. Armstrong mill or grind its height to fit the keyway in the clutch. if there is a threaded end on the engine shaft then use a washer and locknut and a sliding sleeve with this to put some pressure onto the adapter to stay snugly on the taper after the clutch hub is installed to keep it captive. apply red loctite and snug down any engaging threads and go driving.

if you can only get a hardened adapter then so be it - grind the keyway and the diameter. snug it onto the tapered shaft with a bit of red locktite and a few taps with a brass hammer and punch (do this while the clutch hub is in place so the taper adapter cant expand to oversize). fit the key and the pressure sleeve same way as above.

in any case the adapter is probably no more than 2 inches long -you can probably turn one out of a piece of drill rod and lap fit the taper with some extra fine clover or valve grinding compound and a magic marker. saw the keyslot if needed and file carefully to size, same for th enew key. when patiently done- that should be as good as any fit that you would need. if the adapter gets goofed up- the raw materials are cheep enough to make another one and are easily processed. tack weld it onto the shaft with Mig or stick electric welder ( quite fast and much lower heat than gas or Tig) if you are needing more confidence in its permanent fit. you could probably solid weld it around the circumference in small arcs if you packed it up with rags and next arc. once its on there snug and tacked then it wont be likely to move unless the clutch is really taking a pounding with shock torque loads.

I was in a similar situation when installing a new engine on my snowblower. I did similar to Handlwanker. I pulled the crank out and turned it to the correct diameter to fit my clutch.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Well If I were in that position the first thing I'd do is put WHERE the heck you
    are. Then if someone was close by they may offer to do it for you. :-(
    ...lew...

tapered shaft adaptor

Hello, did you ever get an adaptor made for your tapered shaft? I need the samething done for my 15 hp briggs engine, cant finde any machine shop willing to do it for me. Maybe you can help? Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kola View Post
    I appreciate all the responses. This is an area I have no knowledge in.

Below is link to the taper shaft specifications (far right of page). It turns out it is a standard 3/16 (.1875) per inch taper. I'm going start with taking a copy of the shaft dimensions and the article where the person made a sleeve for a taper shaft to local machine shops and see what happens. I'm also going to also attempt to contact the individual in the article. The sleeve he made is exactly what I need, including the dimensions.

A number of people are putting larger engines in their golf carts. Often a person can find an engine with a taper shaft at a good price. If I can get a sleeve made, I'm going to pass on the information to others in the carting community.

Again, thanks.

http://www.briggsracing.com/library/...20hp-crank.gif

I know this is an old post, but - for anyone else looking - here's the adapter you're looking for:

tapered clutch adapter