587,157 active members*
4,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > How to engrave a curved (Domed) cover.
Page 1 of 2 12

How to engrave a curved (Domed) cover.

Ive seen lots of people talk about how to machine a curved piece when the piece is flat and curved on the front to back(x and Y axis) ie a chair rung. Im needing information on how to engrave a logo or image onto a Derby cover for a Harley motorcycle. The cover is about 6 inches round and it is "Domed" when the piece sits flat on the tool bed. the Z Height changes.

Attachment 248346Attachment 248348

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to engrave a curved (Domed) cover.

If you don't have graphical software that can perform this function, it is possible to write a script in PERL that will take each X-Y-Z coordinate from a flat toolpath and calculate, using simple geometry and the dimensions of the dome and the "X-Y-Z" data, a new "Z" data that will fit the dome. My brother did some thing similar for me so I could easily probe and duplicate turned spindles. Very accurate (~0.001") details describing the "dome" diameter and height would be required.

What software would be needed to do this?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So I got G-Code ripper. Being the first time Ive ever seen this application, What now?

GER21, would you mind PMing me with the details...

Yeah, Gcode Ripper look great. I need to give it a try and see how it will be to integrate it on a machine that uses the a probe that mounts in the tool holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdragon View Post
    Ive seen lots of people talk about how to machine a curved piece when the piece is flat and curved on the front to back(x and Y axis) ie a chair rung. Im needing information on how to engrave a logo or image onto a Derby cover for a Harley motorcycle. The cover is about 6 inches round and it is "Domed" when the piece sits flat on the tool bed. the Z Height changes.

Attachment 248346Attachment 248348

Thanks in advance.
    David is that you? Chuck showed you ? If you are not David .. sorry , you can in mastercam create your geometry 'above' your part and then 'project' it onto the solid.

Sorry, never used it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ShovelheadMark View Post
    David is that you? Chuck showed you ? If you are not David .. sorry , you can in mastercam create your geometry 'above' your part and then 'project' it onto the solid.
    Shovelheadmark, No Im not David, and its ok. its very hard to keep track of who is who on the Net. I have played with Mastercam only to realize I have no idea how to use it. Is there a Tutorial, or example file(s) that I can get and look at to see if I can do this?

Hahaha .. funny , David and I just cut a bunch of Derby covers too ( his project ) and he was facing the same issue . Yes there are tutorials there is a book for master cam that comes with a student version of X7 it does everything but post code the book is great to follow and there are also videos that go along with the book exercise ( the only challenge there is that some limey narrates it and he can really put you to sleep ) I do not know if the projecting is covered there but I think I may be able to help you out with that. be sure when you do the base geometry ( in other words the solid ) that the curvature matches the real thing as close as possible other wise the art work will have different cut-depths.
    Mastercam Training Books - CamInstructor
    The X7-2d/3d one is the one I used and I found it most helpful, took a college course in mastercam and had all my $..it done before term even started. Hope that helps you out.
    Mark

Hey thanks Mark, I really appreciate it. IM still new to the Whole CNC world. Im not even certain my cnc is strong enough to engrave the covers. It started as a Chinese 3040T. Ive changed the control Board, Upgraded the flex shaft motor and head to a 1/4 HP Flex shaft and I can at least use 1/4" Bits now

Create your geo to engrave over or under the surface of the dome and use toolpath surface project and use curves. Just did this but in 5axis for a collage instructor to do a class demo in X7 and X8
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

It has only been a year and a half for me too , however the best thing since sliced bread !! I am very fortunate to have anytime access to a friends Fadal ( hehe I am the only one in that shop that has figured out how to talk to the damn thing ) . Oh oh laptop battery is running low soon to be disconnected. If I am I will catch you later. Checkout the book mastercam is really pretty damn nice to work with, some things have to be eddied manually but It can do the bulk work for you.
    Mark

If you want , you can send me the model and i can program it for you, using mastercam, it is very easy

Interesting thread. I have X7 so I thought I would have a go at this. I just estimated the radius of the spherical surface.
    I saved my surface as an STL file and ran verify on it.
    All files are attached, X6, STL and NC, in zipped folder.

Review picture and the X7 file is included.this makes for allot less work and files.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by tc26 View Post
    Interesting thread. I have X7 so I thought I would have a go at this. I just estimated the radius of the spherical surface.
    I saved my surface as an STL file and ran verify on it.
    All files are attached, X6, STL and NC, in zipped folder.
    Sorry I couldn't help but having a peek at it nice work , took me a bit to figure out what it said ... I can only look at the NC file I have x5 so any newer file won't do , I would like to give food for thought, I just did a dozen Derby covers a couple weeks back. If the curve of the dome is not spot on there will be issues, also they are cast not machined so uneven ness is very possible I did this for a friend and he brought his own artwork on NC file. the curve was just off a bit and it made for very uneven line thickness, I use a 90 drill mill that is sharpened to a point ( a small ball mill would have been an option too the 'over' depth would have not increased cut width) , while I was at proper depth in places I was not even touching in others engraving is only 0.025 deep, I ended up splitting up the toolpath in multiple offsets and got by, I guess my point is make sure you get the curve spot on.
    My $0.02

here's a little something i rustled up for a customer a few years back if it attaches Attachment 248464

Sorry, I just read my reply, I have X6, not X7.
    I do not have solids, so STL was the way to go, right?
    I looked at the Save As options, cannot save as an earlier version of MC.

A spring loaded engraving tool might help with variations in the surface.
    2L has a tool that they claim will work on surfaces with slight variations.
    Engraving Tools and Cutters, Spring Loaded Engraving Tools, Vacuum Chucks, Engraving Software
    I have used one, but on a flat surface.

Page 1 of 2 12