587,647 active members*
3,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > how do you get G code back into BC

how do you get G code back into BC

I made a solid mold cavity part in BC V25 and generated the code to rough it out. Now I want to do a finish pass on it. How do I get the old code back in BC so all I have to change is the step over and feed to generate a finish pass??? Problem I'm having is I can't remember what all the parameters were on the roughing code so when I try a few days later to do the finish code it's not doing what I want at all. So is there a way to just open the code that worked for roughing in BC, then edit it ? Thanks, Rj noob

So,are you saying,you no longer have the file with tool path?
    Look in your back-up directory and see if the old file is there.
    If not,now would be a good time to set it up so in future you will have a file of past work if you did not save it.

Set it up here : Preferences/Default/Directories

yes I have the file but didn't know how to bring it back into BC from a floppy or the backup that is setup in preferences.
    I'm pretty dense I know. I had changed the file G code several times in BC so it wasn't the original one that worked that I have on a floppy in the machine.
    So is there a way to get G code from floppy back into BC so I can just change the step over w/o having to edit the code in notepad and go thru 12000 lines of code?
    I did just get it to do what I want by starting over and not picking a boundary. ????? worked like I wanted it to anyway.
    I'm making plastic injection mold cavities and think BC will work great ,but I'm still stuck in 80's mentality and having a hard time doing things the way BC wants / needs them to be done.
    I think I need someone to give me a "G code 101" speech on do's and don'ts
    Thanks, rj

Navigate to here,as shown in pic.
    Otherwise,I think you have to redo the Cam.

Thanks jrmach, I'll have a lookysee, rj

bobcad guy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
    yes I have the file but didn't know how to bring it back into BC from a floppy or the backup that is setup in preferences.
    I'm pretty dense I know. I had changed the file G code several times in BC so it wasn't the original one that worked that I have on a floppy in the machine.
    So is there a way to get G code from floppy back into BC so I can just change the step over w/o having to edit the code in notepad and go thru 12000 lines of code?
    I did just get it to do what I want by starting over and not picking a boundary. ????? worked like I wanted it to anyway.
    I'm making plastic injection mold cavities and think BC will work great ,but I'm still stuck in 80's mentality and having a hard time doing things the way BC wants / needs them to be done.
    I think I need someone to give me a "G code 101" speech on do's and don'ts
    Thanks, rj
    this should be incredibly easy to resolve. but first, bob doesn't give two ****s about g code, so loading g code into bob is not gonna happen. in order for you to have posted a g code program, you MUST have a model, and you Must have "cammed" the part. so simply reopening the file and changing whatever you want changed, should be a piece of cake. then you simply repost the code. you cant seriously tell me you didn't save the file, nobody that is capable enough to go online to a forum, and ask for help, can be that stupid and not know you must save your work. if you MANUALLY changed the program, from what bob posted, THAT is a different problem. you will need to fix bob, to output what you want, OR redo the same process you did the first time. either way, you CANNOT put g code into bob.

Namecalling is incredibly counterproductive, in an instructional situation. The recipient generally hears "yaddayaddayadda STUPID!! yaddayadda.", and has little or no incentive to look for valid points in the rest of the post.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

To put it simply---no. You can't use g-code to remake a part file. BobCad, like any/every other program will not know what you were doing with the code in the first place. Did you pocket out a square hole, but did not go to the bottom, etc. etc.. What size was the endmill etc. etc.

If you don't have a back-up part file, then start drawing and re-doing your part. You can bring the g-code back into Predator and watch the lines fly around the screen in Back-Plot, but it will get you nothing.

Do a search on your computer for the files' name and you may find it in a back-up folder somewhere.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

bobcad guy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
    Namecalling is incredibly counterproductive, in an instructional situation. The recipient generally hears "yaddayaddayadda STUPID!! yaddayadda.", and has little or no incentive to look for valid points in the rest of the post.

Luke
    ummmm trot? if you read my reply, I said he CANT be stupid, and must know enough to save his work, he said he was a dunce, so I was commenting that he cant be that stupid if he can navigate to here, and seek help. please don't put words in my mouth, I put enough of them there myself. sometime we read what isn't written, so I assume you misunderstood my post.

Bobcad Guy,,No matter how many times I read it,,and even if I stand on my head and read it upside down or in the mirror backwards,,,it sounds bad,,just sayin.I guilty at times of not writing what I really mean.

I am not sure if Mill is the same as Lathe but a few times I saved my file and went back to it and nothing there except the original model.
    What you have to do with 3D model imports is "Save As" rather than just "Save" , if you dont it just saves as the format the imported model was and you get no toolpaths etc.

Assuming of course the OP imported a model rather than making oin BobCAD?
    Hood

Quote Originally Posted by bobcad guy View Post
    ummmm trot? if you read my reply, I said he CANT be stupid, and must know enough to save his work, he said he was a dunce, so I was commenting that he cant be that stupid if he can navigate to here, and seek help. please don't put words in my mouth, I put enough of them there myself. sometime we read what isn't written, so I assume you misunderstood my post.
    I must have misunderstood also, because it seemed incredibly harsh and unproductive to me also. The guy is new and just trying to learn
    V25.0 3 axis pro, standard sim, Bobart standard

I agree with HOOD, you should always create a new BobCAD file by doing a "save as" immediately after importing any third party file, it is then a BobCAD format file so will save correctly from then on

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I am not sure if Mill is the same as Lathe but a few times I saved my file and went back to it and nothing there except the original model.
    What you have to do with 3D model imports is "Save As" rather than just "Save" , if you dont it just saves as the format the imported model was and you get no toolpaths etc.

Assuming of course the OP imported a model rather than making oin BobCAD?
    Hood
    I wondered if that is what happened also. That's always a nightmare

bobcad guy Guest
    Ok, perhaps I wrote poorly what I meant, I I completely failed to convey my meaning, sorry, but I did say say you CANT be stupid, I guess I see it different than you guys, and ill admit that I must be wrong, my bad

bobcad guy, no worries. From your last post it sounds like your paying me a compliment that "I can't be stupid" in that I know enough to go online and ask for help. All true . I can see where the others took exception in your first post but that's inet forums. We can't hear peoples voices (happy, sad, critical, etc.) only see what is printed. The way one person reads a post may be different from another persons take of it just by the day their having, social background, etc, blah ,blah.
    I think I may be at fault too in not making my problem clearer. So to recap:
    I changed the cam file after roughing out the part, experimenting with the different options. I couldn't remember what parameters I used the previous day in the roughing code and what BC was generating for tool path was not what I wanted after I tried several different ways.
    What I wanted to know if there was a way to get the G code off the floppy back into BC so I would have my original roughing parameters so all I would have to change was the step over and feed rate.
    In the end I stumbled onto what worked the way I wanted and got that part of the mold done.
    Now I'm doing the tapered NPT thread insert part and have to say you guys are all invaluable . I followed advice given in this post from a year ago and am about to start cutting.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...milling-3.html

so group hug everyone!!!!
    You are all a real asset to me trying to learn using BC with my Sharp Acu-Rite Mill Pwr 3 axis machine. rj

bobcad guy Guest
    Hey rj, you are spot on with your assessment, but I still apologise that anyone misconstrewed my comments. If I want to be insulting, there's usually no doubting I'm trying to be insulting. I was suspicious that you had changed the file, and not deleted it or not saved it,from the beginning. Here's a possibly helpful tip, when your NOT possitive if you like one toolpath over another, don't delete the feature from the camtree, just right click on the feature, then pick the "post yes/no " option. Now when you post the program, it won't post that feature. You can try several diff things, then delete the ones you DONT want later.

"Here's a possibly helpful tip, when your NOT possitive if you like one toolpath over another, don't delete the feature from the camtree, just right click on the feature, then pick the "post yes/no " option. Now when you post the program, it won't post that feature. You can try several diff things, then delete the ones you DONT want later. "

Never thought of nor did I know I could do this but that will certainly help me with this problem of forgetting what all I tried. Thanks BC guy, rj