587,466 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How do you automate deburring?
Page 2 of 2 12
    I have a vibratory deburing machine- I got it used, but it is a BurrKing- you could look on their website. The vibratory machines are expensive- Not sure exactly why, although mine does have a 1hp motor, so its pretty powerful, and a bigger capacity than little rock tumblers.
    What I have found is that it makes sense to ask the salesman- look in the yellow pages under deburring or abrasives, call around until you find a distributor that sells the ceramic media, and describe the type and size of part you run, and he can hook you up with the right size and shape. I use a double ended pyramid, about 3/4" long, and they work well on stuff that is at least a couple of inches long.
    One thing I really recommend is buying a gallon of soap/anti rust stuff from the suppliers- I have one gallon that has lasted me years, as it thins down with water something like 25 to one- but it really helps- it lubes the whole process, and makes it easy to clean off the parts after you take em out.
    I have heard of EDM shops that run whole shelves full of $100 rock tumblers, and leave the parts in for a day or two. Long times seem unavoidable- sometimes when I run stainless parts, that have been waterjet cut with a sharp edge, I leave em in at least a day. Mild steel is usually more like 4 to 8 hours.

This may sound obvious............
    If possible, try to always climb mill around the profile.
    Use a rough and a nice sharp finish tool.
    I always try to minimize burr generation by using a well thought out tool path, especially when machining some of the stainless steels.
    It's not science, it's art.
    caitolly

I know Sideros Engineering, they make great deburring tumblers. ROTOCLEAN
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g251MnYe5fw]SIDEROS ENGINEERING "ROTOCLEAN" (Tumbler - Buratto).avi - YouTube[/ame]

Almost every part we make contains holes of some sort. We use 90° spot drills as a standard rather than centerdrills. It's common practice for us in many cases to do our milling prior to hole making & drive the spot drill as a chamfer mill for deburring. It's already in the spindle & for simple deburrng, it can be cranked up & driven pretty fast.

Page 2 of 2 12