587,791 active members*
2,880 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Home-made or CheapCnc (Noobie)

Hello, I'm new in the cnc world and I have a few questions.

1: Can a cheaper cnc router like the ones made by Cheapcnc cut 1/4 Lexan or 1/8 Carbon Fiber? I do alot of custom work by hand but would like to start using cnc for it.

2: Can these machines do drilling as well?

3: Is it worth it to just buy the parts myself and make one or would that be too hard for a beginner? If so, how much will it cost?

Here is a picture of some of the stuff we do in Lexan.

The chassis are about 14"x6"

Btw, I had a typo in my user name. Could someone change it to Cold Fusion?
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

1: Can a cheaper cnc router like the ones made by Cheapcnc cut 1/4 Lexan or 1/8 Carbon Fiber? I do alot of custom work by hand but would like to start using cnc for it.
    It all depends on how fast you want to cut your parts. A very weak machine can cut what you ask, you just would need to take very shallow cuts and slow speeds.

2: Can there machines do drilling as well?
    Sure. The main problem would be the RPM of the router and finding a drill chuck that will handle the high speed. I tryed drilling with my vara-speed router on 10,000 RPM. It worked but shook a bit.

3: Is it worth it to just buy the parts myself and make one or would that be too hard for a beginner? If so, how much will it cost?
    It is not hard to build one. I see you can run a CAD station. You need to make the choice between router or mill. The part you have shown could be made on my converted Mill/Drill (see my website). Also I just wanted to say that using a router or mill, you will not be able to cut square corners on pockets like you have drawn. I would say to not be scared to build one or to convert a mill/drill. You will have all the help you need from us here.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I want a router style, not mill. The mill just has too small of a table. I'm looking for something roughly 24x17 or larger.

Btw, these parts go on a Traxxas Rustler Rc truck.

Originally posted by Cold Fusio
    Btw, these parts go on a Traxxas Rustler Rc truck.
    I've dropped .21 motors in a few of them, they get real fun after that!!!

You don't need a real srtong machine to cut CF if you slow it down a bit.

Doug

I'm an electric guy. I've got a brushless Supermaxx right now in addition to the brushless electric Team Rustler.

How long do you think it would take to cut a chassis out of Carbon Fiber or Lexan with a 1.5k homemade one.

I'm no expert with the different machines, but I would say that my machine could cut it in 2-3 min. You can see my machine in the liberty sect.

Doug

That would be great for us. It normally takes me 2 hours to finish a custom chassis job...

Cold,

If you can make that chassis with hand tools, you can build a CNC router.

You will fall asleep waiting for a cheap machine to cut your parts at 8 in/min. and your plastic will turn to goo with a router moving that slowly.

I think you would be better off spending the $1500 on better components and your own labour to get a production quality machine that you will still be happy with after a week. As for drilling, if the hole has a diameter that is smaller than the diameter of the cutter, you can route the hole without the danger of using a drill chuck in a router.

Steve

Just to let you know, I am building a CNC router now, it is my first one. So far it has cost me about $300 including steppers and driverboard. I am using a dremel tool as spindle, so if you went with something bigger, it would cost you more. I estimate about another 50 to 100 dollars before I am up and running.
    So, if you are looking to do it as inexpensively as possible, make one yourself. It is really not difficult, most hobbyists could do it. Also, if you are willing to spend more money than I did, you can have an awesome router for your $1500.
    co

Ok, I will go with a homemade one. I've been reading alot on these forums to figure out how one works and how to build one, but I think I will need some kind of guide to do it. So you really think I can make a good one under $1500? Right now I pay about $400 per cnc order I make. This should pay off fairly quickly.

I use a dremel everyday and I don't think it has the power for what I want. Some kind of bigger router would be great.

Will someone be kind enough to post a guide or some place I can buy one so I may start studying it and figuring prices. I think I'm hooked on these things

I just surfed through this whole website and visited a thousand links, and got most of the info I needed.
    I was at home depot yesterday and saw a new Dremel called the Advantage. Much bigger and has variable speed too with a 1/4" collet. That should cut what you want to cut.
    If you want 24 X 17 you should be able to keep it very rigid and this will help your cuts too.
    Check out xylotex for controllers and steppers.
    co

The thing is, I plan to produce some parts on this. I don't mind spending extra on the router if it means a bigger and more capable machine. I'm looking at the Porter Cable models now.

Do you think with a 24x24 sized one will be able to cut aluminum?

Ok, a couple more questions for you guys.

1: Would a Nema 23 Pacific Scientific Powermax 2 253oz stepper motor work good in a 36x24 with a dual acme 1/2-10 screw setup in the x axis.

2: If it would, what controller do you suggest for three of these motors?

3: Would the following Z axis work ok with a 1 3/4 Porter Cable router and one of the above motors?http://www.xizou.com/images/Cnc/Z%20axis.jpg

OK, I thinkyou are getting excited now. You have gone from 17 X 24 to 24 X 24 to 24 X 36 with a double leadscrew setup. Typically increasing size will make your machine less rigid or WAY heavier for the same rigidity. And increasing complexity will cost you cash time and aggrivation.
    One of the first bits of advice I read was to keep your first machine simple and small. 17 X 24 is big enough to do what you want to do, and will not require a double leadscrew.
    I dont have the experience to answer your stepper question, and it looks like that Z axis would lift the Queen Mary, but there are no dimensions, so I dont know for sure.
    As far as controller boards, The best value I could find was the Xylotex 3 axis board. It is a true chopper drive and aparently runs very smooth. Couple that with Mach2 and you should be OK. I have been told that 116oz/in steppers would be good for my application which is lighter than what you want, so to GUESS, I would GUESS (ie. it is a GUESS, and only a GUESS) that 253 oz/in steppers would work for you. (did I mention that this is an only slightly educated GUESS?)
    Seriously. If you actually want to finish making your router, keep it simple. Go with the 17 X 24 and make it simple and make it rigid and make it well.
    co

Your right, but look at the time I posted that

Ok, I've been looking at some figures and I need a usable area of 22/18. I'll probably end up making the whole machine 2x2' because a cuople inches aren't accessable to the cutter.

The z axis is made by www.cnconabudget.com. The travel available is 6".

Sorry for all these questions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42895

Would that controller work well for me?

Say - that looks like the one I got!
    I'm just sorting it all out - using that controller from Shah in WA, and MACH2, and a set of PACSCI motors too - but the 160oz/in. Getting it all sussed seems a bit of a challenge - but Shah and Art are both good to their word for email support.

I liked it as it seemed as close to plug'n'play as I could find - and its as slick looking in person as the photo.

In retrospect I might have done a package deal to get a 4th axis - for later cutting wings'n'things, and Shah makes a package deal that includes motors - IsFoils (Doug) went that route.

Don't know if that helps - but you can private message me if you like.
    :cheers: Jim

PS - Shah was real good to eBay with and we did heaps of email pre-deal too - drop him a note. He even built a motor cable set for me that included the connectors.

Page 1 of 2 12