587,449 active members*
2,481 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help!!! Y axis overload won't go away

I have a bridgeport 720 with heidenhain TNC355 Control. Yesterday the machine apparently went past limit switch and caused an overload condition, I have removed power and manually backed off limit switch but still get the overload alarm. Each drive unit is equipped with circuit breaker and a thermal overload unit, but I do not know where to find and reset these if possible.
    Would appreciate any help! THANKS

Ron (chair)

Refresh my memory but I believe that this machine has FANUC drives and motors. I have had cases where the machine homed toward the column, crushed a pile of chips, stayed there crushing the chips, the operator had gone to get a cup of coffee, the thermal alarm triggered on the motor, but the control is not wired to it so the drives did not drop out and the motor fried. Do a sniff test of the motor. If it smells bad, it probably is. You can veriry that with a meter. I believe there was one large FANUC axis drive on this machine that accomodated all 3 axis. Any alarms on the drive?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Fanuc servo motors and I believe the drives are Fanuc, as well. Y axis motor smells fried but installed a rebuilt Y axis motor and still get the same alarm?? Is there a way to clear the alarm?? Machine has separate motors for ea axis.
    Bridgeport book refers to Fanuc maintanance manual (which is not available).
    Alarm is "Y axis drive overload"

I have to get to the office and find some schematics. I do not remember any overloads between the drive and the motors but the schematics would verify this. Yes, 3 motors, but one large drive unit. Spindle drive was another unit. Some of these older FANUC units had a switch (breaker) that was visible from beneath and behind the top circuit board. try ohming out the motor and seeing how it compares to the X axis.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have looked for a breaker like you have described but don't see one. There is, however, a row of breakers across the bottom - under the drive unit. I aready tripped and reset those first thing???
    Thanks for the help...

Ron