587,467 active members*
3,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help on selecting a machine for cutting wood models.

I've been thinking about getting a laser cutter for a while. I've read back several pages and I haven't seen my particular questions answered so I thought I'd post them. I'd like to make wooden models and dollhouses. I'd most likely use 1/8" thick wood. What wattage would I need to cut that easily and maybe have some headroom if I needed to cut a little thicker? A bigger bed is preferable, but I'm trying to be budget conscious. I'd love something under $5K delivered, but I don't know if that is realistic for a quality machine with decent support. I'm open to opinions on what makes/models you've seen that will work for what I'm trying to accomplish.
    Thanks for any help.

Hi Tom

I don't own a laser machine but I have a friend who has an 30w CO2 laser which he uses to cut thin wood (up to 4-5mm mdf etc) and etch onto glass and acrylic. We tried to cut some 6mm ply one day but it just wouldn't cut deep enough.

After using his laser I decided that I just HAD to have one, so based on his experience I have ordered a 9060 80w CO2 laser. I want to cut 6mm ply with ease. From my reading, it seems that 80w is about as high as you can go if you still want to etch (which I do).

John

You can cut 3mm and 6mm thick Mdf with 60w but it won't be fast. Plywood is different and even for the one that is made from softwood it may need slower speed to cut through than Mdf in the same thickness. If you get a laser with 100w tube your cutting speed will be much better. I cut mostly Mdf from 3mm and up to 18mm thick. I do 3-9mm on a laser with one 100w synrad tube and 9-18mm on another laser with 2x140W gsi tubes

Hi,,I think a Co2 laser could fit your requirement perfectly due to its longer wavelength is easy to be absorb by woods.
    And regarding the wattage, to my idea it doesn't need very big wattage on it. but it depends on how deep you need to cut and how heavy you need your machine to do. I hope this info could do some help...lol...
    Focus in Laser Marking/Engraving, Laser Cutting, Laser Welding devices.
    [email protected]

You didn't say how big the pieces are you want to cut. Bigger the bed usually means more wattage and higher price. I have a 40watt laser it cuts 1/8 baltic birch no problem. it will cut 1/4 but its slower. Pending on the complexity of the design it takes anywhere from a couple of Min to 30 or 40 mins to cut it out. To give you an Idea a 5 inch Dia circle will cut out in about 35 seconds approx. My laser has a small bed 9.5x14 . If your looking at bigger and faster and around 5k you should be looking at chinese imports.

I realize that cost is always a concern... But you also need to consider the warranty, technical support, training, spare parts, ...and quality. The Chinese machines are not a bad choice at all. You should b selective about who you buy from. Maybe even go visit a customer that already owns a Chinese laser. Get their advice.

I would recommend that you purchase a laser machine with working area of at least 24x36. Reason... You stated that you want to cut out doll houses and other wooden models. The normal 24x36machine is called a 9060. It comes standard with a 60 watt laser source. The 60 watts will cut 1/8 inch birch quickly. It can also cut up to 3/8 woods without much trouble.... It all depends on what materials you are cutting.

The "all parts included" price is just over $7000. The delivery cost from Cincinnati, Ohio would depend on where you live. ..Unless you buy a used system from a careful prior owner, it is gonna be tough to find a quality machine to do what you are asking for... Not under $5000.

Ray Scott
    Rabbit Laser USA

I'm not sure where you live or if you have access to one, but maybe check out a maker space like:

TechShop is America's 1st Nationwide Open-Access Public Workshop -- What Do You Want To Make at TechShop?

Or something like that, get access to their toys, see if your business works, see what machines work best for what you want to do.
    If there's nothing around you like that around, than I guess you're stuck.

Thought I'd mention it .

Paul