587,348 active members*
4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Help with 3D contouring

Help with 3D contouring

I'm using Partmaster Pro. I don't believe I saw a tutorial video that explains how to do any 3D contouring. I want to create a "teardrop" shape. Is this even possible? I envision the teardrop lying longitudinally on the mill table. A "ZY" curve up and over the part, back and forth, and this would be stepped along the length of the part up and over the teardrop with a "ZX" curve. So essentially, the ZY curve would be an upside down "U" and the ZX would be the teardrop shape.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks much!

Kevin

I'll try to help you sort it out if you like...

You'd like to make a male or female form, half of a tear drop divided at it's center plane, laying on it's side, with the tear drop shape outline in the x-y plane, yes? That will be the contour. The other shape, a large arc that transitions to a very small arc on the small end of the teardrop, which would be the profiles, the large arc transitioning to the small one, would follow the contours' path, yes?

The problem I see is that Partmaster can only interpolate one profile around a contour... as the profiles you'd like use would need to transition from the large end of the teardrop to a virtual point, or tiny arc on the small end of the teardrops contour. Maybe someone has an alternative, but it would seem to require at least z axis roughing and finishing in 2.5 D, or true 3D interpolation to accomplish your job...neither is available in partmaster pro.

Ken

The teardrop shape would be in the XZ plane. An upside down "U" in the YZ plane would e transposed around it.

Take a look at this file for ideas

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk...lve%20Male.cnc

John, thanks for the file. That is one good approach. How do I set the CAD side up to draw in other than the XY plane?

Kevin

Just wanted to bump this. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any more tutorials other than te ones posted on the website? On Youtube perhaps?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

The CAD is only 2d so you can't "draw" in anything other than the XY plane, but, you can machine in XZ or YZ by creating a Profile rather than a Contour, before transferring into CAM.

A Contour is machineable shape in the XY plane and a Profile is a machineable shape in the ZX plane - it's what we use to differentiate between the different planes, Profiles are used in Turning, but they can also be used in milling to control what happen to the tool in the Z axis.

They are quite few example programs and drawings installed, have a look in the folder My Documents/PartMaster/Drawings/Examples.

There are quite a few movies on Youtube, do a search on Dolphin Cadcam.

ATB
    Andre