587,302 active members*
3,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Hello new here. Want to buy a laser cutter

Hello new here. Want to buy a laser cutter

Hello. I am a avid car modeler, resin caster and train enthusiast. I also enjoy woodworking. My wife is into dollhouses and I am like wise into scale dioramas. I recently became unemployed like millions of others across our nation. I am thinking about becomeing self employed and looking at the possabilities of a table top laser cutter. My idea is to be able to cut out both balsa wood projects for doll houses as well as plastic (styrene) projects like diorama building kits, as well as smaller diorama objects like say coolers. Also interested in making train building kits. On a side note, also interested in engraving items as well. I am wanting to find a machine that can cut and engrave, nothing too think, 1/8" thick styrene at most for cutting. I am interested in a table top style machine and have a budget of under $3,000. What would you guys recomend for a good starting machine? Thank you. Jody

With a budget of less than $3k, you are not going to find much. Even the cheapest Chinese laser will cost you more than that, and I wouldn't recommend going that route even if you could afford it - they are just too troublesome and unreliable.

You could build your own, but that entails an entirely new set of complications, but it would probably fit into your budget. There is another thread I just read about a person building a fairly large laser with a budget of about $2,500. I don't think he'll stay within the budget because of the size of his machine, but for a desktop machine you may be able to make it work.

How about leasing instead of buying? Less up-front money and you could get way more machine than otherwise possible. Best part is that after the lease you can either buy it for the residual or lease another new machine. Just a thought.

Gary

Well, I have found two so far for under that budget. Unfortunately, I am unemployed now, and the only budget I will have will be what is left after catching up on my bills and paying ahead. I am not looking to be some nice manufacturer, only a paid hobbiest. I wont make my own because I want to make sure it works. I also refuse to lease or rent something that is too big and pricey to fit into my basement room and then if I dont make a living at it, send it on its way with nothing to show for it. Everything I do is cash!! I own no credit cards and no debit cards either other then my paypal. If I make a good income on it, then I can upgrade. Thanks. Jody

I hate to agree with LaserImage (I'm just kidding Gary!) but based on your description it sounds like you want to mainly cut.

The cheapest Chinese lasers are certainly under $3k (I paid less than $1500 for a tabletop unit) and great for engraving and ok for occasional cutting of certain materials, but at this price point they are probably not what you need.

Have you considered using a CNC router? They're cheaper, and using small jewelers end mills you can do some very intricate work. Just make sure you have a variable speed spindle to handle plastics. Check out k2cnc for a good machine at a reasonable price.

Zax.

I would buy a Sherline CNC Lather/Mill machine before I ever did a CNC router. However, that is a $5,000 cost. I have watched videos on a laser etcher cutting and burning through on various things like balsa wood and plastic. I am mainly going to be using pieces aprox. 1/16" thick and want to be able to do etching as well. Etching would be 1/2 of my busines at least. What did you buy for $1500 and what does it do, or better yet, what does it not do?? Thanks. Jody

Hop over to the laser cutting / engraving forum:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

I have a 40W desktop laser from Jinan Artsign.

It does an excellent job at engraving (vector or raster) and is capable of cutting thin wood or plastic. The software limitations are the main reason I wouldn't recommend it if cutting is your main purpose, as it won't allow the machine to run slow enough for thicker materials.

The other limitation is it doesn't have air assist, but this is easily solved.

I cut 1/8" acrylic in 2-pass with good results at half power, so it should be possible to cut it at full power if the speed could be reduced. The machine isn't the problem here, it's the driver board and software combination.

It will cut 3/16" basswood at the same settings, and balsa at lower settings with reasonable results (some minor scorching may occur).

The larger machines do not have these issues, but of course they cost more too.

Engraving on the other hand is easily accomplished on almost any materials.

Zax.

I would like to hear more about that. Do you have the engraver or the cutter? I see they have a few different versions. Thanks. Jody

I have the smallest desktop unit, JSM40. You can search for '40W laser' on ebay. This is sold as an engraver (mainly for stamp making), which is why it has these limitations.

Their larger systems have a different driver which is supposed to be more flexible but I have no experience of that.

The software with my system is NewlyDraw, a very simple program used to output only. It has some very basic drawing tools but you won't be making complex designs with it. Fortunately it works easily with Corel, ArtCAM and CAD software.

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by smartresins View Post
    I would like to hear more about that. Do you have the engraver or the cutter? I see they have a few different versions. Thanks. Jody

How much did your machine cost you? I eyed thier JSM3040U Laser Engraving and Cutting Machine. I tried to email them, but got a mailer demon? So I guess I will need to call. I was planning on probably using coral draw. I see coral has thier own forum for help and a area for the programs for the laser machines. So would be able to get further help when necessary. Being it is a import, my big question would be service and repairs and warrenty? Thanks. Jody

It cost just under $1500 total (shipped).

I would recommend contacting:

http://www.the-lasersedge.com they sell the Rabbit line
    http://www.mbkpinternational.com/ offer the Artsign range
    and http://www.wklaser.com/

They are all frequent posters on these and other forums, so ask questions and e-mail / call them to determine which you feel will provide the best product and service for you.

Zax.

Hello, my friend, we are a manufacturer of laser cutting machine, we promise you can get high quality, best price and perfect service from us.
    I am Jack of China JQ laser, if you want to know more and need my help and suggestion , please contact me.
    Msn:[email protected] Skype:jqlaser32 E-mail:[email protected]

I would like to hear more about that. Do you have the engraver or the cutter? I see they have a few different versions. Thanks

I would like to hear more about that. Do you have the engraver or the cutter? I see they have a few different versions. Thanks

JQ LASER

Quote Originally Posted by Harp32Wil View Post

Hello, my friend, This is Jack Jia of China JQ laser, so happy to help you solve your this problem.
    yes, my friend, we have many models of laser engraver and cutter, From JQ-4030(working area is 400mm x 300mm) to JQ 1630 (working area is 1600mm 3000mm), different models with different powers has differnt characteristics.
    JQ laser adopt the advanced internationally accessaries, such as the lens from USA, rail from Taiwan , laser tube is Reci brand ..........all of them is great.
    So my friend , could you tell me your details about your materilals? such as what do you want to cut or engrave? the length? the width? this is very important for choosing a suitable machine for you.if i know you this info, i will give you my best suggestion .
    You can add my MSN:[email protected]
    E-mail:[email protected], [email protected]
    Tel: 0086-15552507932; 0086-0531-88976878
    Website:Laser engraving machine?Laser cutting machine from China JQLASER.
    Best regards
    Yours sincerely
    Jack Jia