587,523 active members*
3,753 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > hass tool turret alignment problems!

hass tool turret alignment problems!

Hi! I hope some one can help me? I have a hass sl30 lathe and had a crash. It was kinda bad and threw out my tool turrent rotation alignment! argh. So i have the instructions from hass on how to fix my problem but when I enter
    m43 in mdi mode so I can adjust the coupler on the servo the turret goes out of alignment when I enter m44. It seems that when the turret is locked back in place it jumps the rotation back out. Can anyone help me?

Thanks
    Doug

Can I help? Good question...let me describe what I observed when we managed to crash the turret on a HL1.

The turret is driven by a servo motor which indexes the turret into a position so that when it locks down the dogs are aligned. The servo is connected via a flexible coupling that clamps onto the shaft without any keyway. In our crash the spindle was not running but we had the turret too close so when it moved out to release the dogs it bumped into the chuck and when the servo tried to rotate it all that happened is the coupling slipped a bit and the servo overloaded and alarmed. After we had jogged things clear and tried a toolchange, because the coupling has slipped the servo did not rotate the turret into the correct position for the dogs to align so it could not lock back and gave a turret lock alarm.

I watched the tech realigning things and this is what I managed to observe:

The tech took off the top cover to expose the servo drive and coupling, loosened the clamp on the coupling, unclamped the turret with a G43 (I think), turned it to position 1 by hand, did a turret fwd command to T1, clamped the turret with a G44 and then retightened the clamp.

Maybe somebody will come on with some more specific advise but this could help you if it seems to concur with the instructions you got from Haas. If not sorry I cannot help.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Yup, that's what I did to align it. I get the alignment perfect in x and in the turret rotation but as soon as I reclamp the turret back in place with the m44 it seems to jump the rotation off again! and its not a little it's like .090" so there is no way i can shim that. man this sux!

My SL10 got bumped awhile ago. I removed the top and loosened the coupler, turned the A axis motor with the jog handle and re tightened the coupler. Made a couple test cuts to make sure I was on center and buttoned it up. All was well.

My SL10 got bumped awhile ago. I removed the top and loosened the coupler, turned the A axis motor with the jog handle and re tightened the coupler. Made a couple test cuts to make sure I was on center and buttoned it up. All was well.
    There is a pin in the back of my turret that was not allowing the turret to seat and thus giving a turret clamp alarm. I M43'd the turret forward, jogged it to the correct position, and that worked fine. I have a PDF of the maintanance manual if you need it. It spells out the proceedure pretty clearly

That would be awsome! thankx alot i've sent you my email address in a msg
    thanks again

well it seems that I can align my turret fine, I follow the steps everything works great I get it all true but as soon as I clamp the turret back(m44) into place it jumps out of wack on the rotation again when i unclamp it (m43) it drops back to near perfect alignment!? anyone have any ideas if there is some thing else that i need to adjust?

The dog clutch device that locks the turret when it is pulled back has tapered teeth and the turret is bolted to the end of the shaft it is on. It sounds like the turret has moved.

I am guessing you aligned the turret to the spindle using a boring bar holder and the tapered teeth are close enough that they pull in so the turret does lock but the turret is rotated slightly when the tapers line up and this gives the misalingment after locking

With the turret locked loosen the clamping bolts slightly and tap the turret into alignment then retighten them.

Now it should move out of alignment when it unclamps so you have to go back and adjust the servo coupling again.

Incidentally if you have the A axis load showing on the screen in the current commands page you might see it jump when the turret locks. This is because the servo is holding it in place but when the tapered teeth engage and rotate it slightly it moves the servo which tries to compensate and move back.

well that sounds about right... but when i loosen all the bolts on the turret face the turret is still locked tight i can't budge it a bit... even when the turret is unlocked it still will not budge.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
    well that sounds about right... but when i loosen all the bolts on the turret face the turret is still locked tight i can't budge it a bit... even when the turret is unlocked it still will not budge.
    Okay that puzzles me. I had to get one of mine realigned by loosening the bolts and it did move. The tech did use a big hammer and a block of brass and I guess the 'tapping' as I described it was fairly heavy. But this was on a HL1 so maybe the SL turrets are different; we have successfully avoided crashing our SL's so I don't know.

Put a piece of bar in a big boring tool holder and be a bit of a gorilla with a big hammer ???? Make a mark so you can see any movement and hit it alternately both ways. Maybe before doing this take the bolts out one by one to check that none of them have a dowel shank.

well I unbolted both bolt hole patterns and gave it a good whack in both dirs. and nothing! this seems very crazy there has to be a way to take off the turret!?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
    well I unbolted both bolt hole patterns and gave it a good whack in both dirs. and nothing! this seems very crazy there has to be a way to take off the turret!?
    You are outside my limits now . There must be some way to take it apart; I wonder if it is simply corroded?

Contact the Answerman on the Haas website.

Doug
    I'll have the maint manual in the mail to you in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    Doug
    I'll have the maint manual in the mail to you in the morning.
    Hi PBMW!
    I have now the very same problem ... Do you think you could also please send me the maintenance manual of the SL-30? I don't know how the turret is inside and I'm a little affraid to do it in the dark!

Thank you very much!