587,693 active members*
3,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Hardinge GS line vs DMG ecoline, vs Akira machine purchase

Exclamation Hardinge GS line vs DMG ecoline, vs Akira machine purchase

Hi Guys I am no just sitting in front of the specs of various machines.
    I have narrowed it down to:
    Hardinge GS line of machines.
    DMG ecoline
    Akira seiki

All linear guideway machines and all within a similar price bracket. Budget is a concern but at the same time I have to take credibility and service performance of suppliers into consideration. I am looking at getting a 4 axis Mill with a 1000mm X-travel, linear scales and 10000 rpm spindle.
    The Lathes I am looking at will have 1m z travel and live tooling.
    I do not have a preference in regard to the controller, Which will be either Fanuc, Siemens or Heidenhain. A big plus for the DMG is that they come with a Heidenhain without additional cost if you choose, whereas Hardinge charges big dollar for Heidenhain controls.

Any experience and opinions on the given machines would be greatly appreciated. In regards to service life rigidity and experienced advantages/disadvantages.
    I will be cutting aluminium and 416 stainless mostly, but you will never know what comes through the shop door.
    My own products ( silencers and rifle receivers) require turning and milling work. And I have been tempted to look at a multi-axis millturn like okuma and Mazak offer them to do it all in one go, but then I suppose that would exceed my budget, even though I would just buy one machine.
    Next thing is that I can get stock machines in 4 weeks time, but glas scales for instance will add up to 4 month to the delivery time, and that would mean longer time without additional productivity. What is the common wisdom here? Get up and running fast, or rather sit and wait for the goodies that may or may not offer an advantage?
    Any answers welcome......

I am happy with my DMG, and for me heidenhain is a must.

DMG

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I am happy with my DMG, and for me heidenhain is a must.
    Hi Gus,
    is it an ecoline? or one of the regular machines? Are you having any issues with the belt couplings? What do you rate best about the Heidenhain?

Cheers
    Chris

Mine is a 64V, no experience with the ECO line.

Heidenhain is a bulletproof control and they do not play the thousand dollar option scam/game.