587,458 active members*
3,799 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Hardinge conquest 42 - add live tooling?

Hardinge conquest 42 - add live tooling?

Picking up a conquest 42 tomorrow. Wondering if there's a way to add live tooling to the machine if it didn't originally come with it. The control is broke currently and thinking about doing a retrofit on it to linuxcnc or something so compatability with fanuc doesn't matter for this discussion. Just wondering mechanically if it's possible.

On the same token has anyone added live tooling in a diy approach to a slant machine?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Re: Hardinge conquest 42 - add live tooling?

I am building live tooling to my lathe.
    (And 2 toolchangers, 8 tools on servo turret, + 4 tools on stepper-rotary flat turret).

ATM, its in an advanced-retrofit state, with the new z axis screwmounts being finalised.
    Brushless servos, 32 mm ground screw, C-axis on spindle (2.5 kW, 30.000 counts/rev (== 0.01 degrees/step) etc.
    Hw controller, 4 Mhz CSMIO.

I dont think its especially hard..
    But my components and budgets are industrial (skills, experience, hours, tooling, metrology etc).

Do you have a C axis already ?
    Everything depends on that.

Making a Y axis is relatively straightforward.

Re: Hardinge conquest 42 - add live tooling?

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    I am building live tooling to my lathe.
    (And 2 toolchangers, 8 tools on servo turret, + 4 tools on stepper-rotary flat turret).

ATM, its in an advanced-retrofit state, with the new z axis screwmounts being finalised.
    Brushless servos, 32 mm ground screw, C-axis on spindle (2.5 kW, 30.000 counts/rev (== 0.01 degrees/step) etc.
    Hw controller, 4 Mhz CSMIO.

I dont think its especially hard..
    But my components and budgets are industrial (skills, experience, hours, tooling, metrology etc).

Do you have a C axis already ?
    Everything depends on that.

Making a Y axis is relatively straightforward.
    Picked it up today. No c axis but if I retrofit that wouldn't be a problem. Currently looking to get it up and running with the fanuc controls and then plan out a retrofit.

What lathe are you running? I don't think I'd have that much room in mine. I was trying to utilize the hardinge live tooling. I think I need a different turret to implement that as well as some other stuff I'm sure. I do have room on the backside of the turret albeit it not a lot but I could fashion something there probably. I believe I have air to every tool poisition.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk