587,482 active members*
3,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Haimer Zero Master vs Passive Probe
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I got mine from Travers Tool in 2000, and it came with a 3/4 inch shank so I don't even need a tool holder.
    Interesting Steve. Before I purchased mine I read about the 3/4 shank and assumed they were all like that. Mine came from Haimer in Germany (in late 2012) with a 20mm shank. On the Haimer German site I can't spot one with a 3/4 shank and I have never seen them on EBay with the 3/4 shank. It must be a US market only thing with the US distributor? Either that or how they use to be 13 years back? Anyway I was caught out and have suffered ever since. 20mm shanks and TTS 3/4 do not play together. I am running a cobbled together "solution" at the moment but I pay for it big time in Z travel. I would buy a 3/4 shank for the Haimer in an instant if you know where I can get one?

As for tramming a vise, I find my Interapid far easier than the Haimer for that task. When I zero off the Y and run the X along the vise I find the Haimer can be twitchy and not always accurate. My Interapid DTI gives more consistent results when aligning the vise. For zeroing the spindle over each axis the Haimer wins hands down every time. It is also very useful and fast to check the workpiece is level in the vise.

Steve,

I just ordered a Haimer from Amazon ($415.00). It is stated to have a 3/4" shaft. Hopefully, it will be.

John

Page 2 of 2 12