587,699 active members*
3,475 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > HAAS (HL-4) Groove Chattering

HAAS (HL-4) Groove Chattering

Hi all,

I have chattering problem in HL-4 CNC lathe and vibration sound is horrible. While grooving it seems like whole machine is vibrating. We tried to fix this problem by doing number of maitainence works or part replacement but problem still occur.
    We change the new spindle, new chuck and look for any possible cause in turret but have no idea what makes it chattering. I believe its in turrets but no idea where and how to solve it. Do any body have any idea ? thanks

simple things first.
    Did you check to see if the tool is centered?
    Just a hair low center is best for grooving.

Sometimes if you have a long bar in the spindle or are barfeeding it can be the end of the bar in the spindle causing the chatter.Check that the bar runs true in the chuck and that the sleeve runs true in the spindle and that the sleeve has a good fit on the bar with say .040 clearence.Keep the feed up and adjust the speed that is what i found works best.
    I would rather be riding my harley!!!

Reverse cut it. M04

I run in another Haas machine using the same program without changing any data like feed, speed... it showed everything is ok, without chattering while grooving. Tool center checked its OK. I did not try reverse running M4. Becasue of delivery deadline , I shifted in another HAAS machine and doing next process on that machine. Probably this friday, I am goona check the locking system in turret. If found the cause of problem will post in this thread.