586,052 active members*
4,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post H Square engraver

I have acquired a Champion 1912 engraver without a control box. There is a 2 phase bipolar NEMA 23 stepper with 6 wires that controls the spindle lift. and 2-2phase bipolar NEMA 34 steppers with 6 wires that control the x and y. The spindle is turned by an 120v induction motor.
    I am trying to find the parts I need to get this machine running again. I have been reading everything I can find about drivers and see there is a lot of negative info about motor drivers. Mostly from China.
    This is the parts list I have been able to compiled so far.
    I need a Power supply to power 1-5.5dcv 1.5A motor and 2-5.5dcv 1.25A motors and auto start feature for AC induction motor.
    a parallel port breakout card. I would rather use a current computer interface but have an old laptop I can use with parallel port
    a 3 motor driver card or 3 single driver cards
    software to run the machine
    Could I get a recommendation on the best parts to get started. Of course I want to be economy wise, but not cheap and I want quality that I can depend on. Each axis has limit switches and I would like to wire them to work but have not researched to the point I know where to wire them. Suggestions on what I need for that would help too.
    Thank you for any and all consideration.

Re: H Square engraver

The power supply needs to be 12 or 24 volts, not 1.5. Drivers need "head room" above the rated voltage of the motor.

Check out my website for more information and suggestions on drivers, etc..
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

James,
    Thanks for the link. I reread my post and see it was a bit confusing. I have 3 motors. 2- 2 phase Vexta NEMA 34, 5.5Vdc 1.25A. And 1- 2phase Vexta NEMA-23, 5.5Vdc, 1.5A. From what I have read I think a 36V power supply should be sufficient. Any recommendation on quality, brand, or info from personal experience is appreciated.
    As for drivers, would the driver in the link you sent be ok for the size 34 motor? I didn't see it on the list of motors in the article.
    When I finish reading the link I will have more questions.
    Thanks,
    Gary

Yeah, the THB6064AH driver is running 5 NEMA 34 motors in this monster:
    THB6064AH Stepper Motor Driver User Gallery

What is the current rating on the NEMA34 motor? We can run up to 4 amps at 50 volts... or a little more if you have a good CPU cooler as a heat sink and you don't mind possibly frying a $10 chip.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)