587,491 active members*
4,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Grizzly G0484 conversion

Hello Wheatie:
    Wow: Thanks for the super response. I am hoping to get it to run with the stock leadscrews but am not sure what the repeatability will be that way. Thank you for the explicit information, I will use that to get ballpark pricing anyway. Pennies are not adding up very fast these days. If I may, I will contact you again if I have issues that I cannot solve. Only electrical question so far is do I or do I not connect 5vdc to the enable pin of my DQ542MA Drivers. I have seen information that does it both ways. Would like to be able to disable the drivers individually if necessary by using a switch in the enable line. Anyway, thanks again and take care.
    Burt

Hello all:
    Just an update on my progress with the G0484 conversion. Have it running under Mach3 but still testing so no chips yet. The 425 oz-in steppers with 2:1 gear reduction will not drive the x and y axes to a rapids of over 35 IPM using the stock lead-screws and nuts. Z axis is no problem since driving quill only. Tuned from sounding like out of tune organ to almost silent now. Repeatability seems to be good enough for my needs at the moment. Will put a pen into the spindle and see if it will draw proper geometric shapes. Will then graduate to Plastic (SAM's Club Cutting board) before trying Aluminum then Steel. If there is any interest I will keep posting progress. So far have not connected 5VDC to driver enable line and have not put inline switches in the driver 36VDC lines. Anyway, that's it for now. Take care.
    Burt

It will always be slow with stock lead screws. 35 IPM is not so bad, much cutting is 10 IPM.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Hello arizonavideo. Still playing with the motor tuning. I guess I am going to have to be satisfied with the slow rapids in order to get it to run smooth. One thing I notice is that when an axis reverses there is a "growling sound" as the axis comes to a stop and reverses. I can change this by making the accelerations really slow but then it sounds like sirens in my garage. I am assuming the goal here is to get the axes to run and reverse without undue noises. The motors are running at only 30 F above ambient so they are not being stressed too much. Does anyone have a suggested velocity/acceleration ratio that might work as a good starting point for my system; have tried 1:1, 3:1 and 5:1, or is it just too dependent on the lead-screws. Hope to get back on it tomorrow and see what happens.

The stock nuts will eat dirt fairly fast with any high speed use. The lash adjustment is just crap on the stock nuts so don't expect much.

I do have a few custom anti backlash nuts for the stock leadscrews I made a long time ago. I will show you a picture in a bit but friction is still a big problem.

I have some delrin nuts too but you still need to go slow or they will melt.

This is the three I made. I should have a few more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SANY0042.JPG   SANY0043.JPG  

Well, have it up to 45IPM with an acceleration of 2 to 2.3 depending on axis. Think I will quit there and save up for the ball screws and nuts. Will continue working on other settings then it is off to making chips. The pics were great. Don't want to tear it down more than once and then will do the upgrade. Take care and thank you for the information. Burt

45 IPM is fine for stock screws, what backlash are you getting?

You will need to keep grease on them and adjust the lash often.

Hi there: Have not really checked backlash an all axes. Have around .008 on X and Y as a quick check. Have bumped Accel up to 8 to 10 depending on axis. Seems to be happy there. Trying to get comfortable with CamBam and Mach3 now. Keep hitting the limit switches on the models I have generated. Got to figure how to lay out the pieces parts so I stay within the limits. Seems easy enough but for some reason it is not in my case. Well will keep working on it. Take care. Burt

Page 2 of 2 12